real time web analytics
Report - - Dredger and earthworks, Hope, NE Wales | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dredger and earthworks, Hope, NE Wales

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

S

sodium

First found out about this site a year ago when I noticed an expanse of water when looking at the view from nearby Hope Mountain. The water looked large, and I was curious as to what and exactly where it was in the village of Hope. After speaking with some locals, I was pointed towards the seemingly disused earthworks.

There's no gates, fences or signs, so you can pretty much just walk in. Because of trees and bushes, none of the earthworks or the water is visible from the surrounding roads, so I was amazed to find a large site, with a collection of industrial buildings, and machinery in the centre, maybe 50ft tall. There was a second piece of tall machinery with a very long conveyor belt that extended through the tres and across a river. It seemed to lead to another part of the site.

So a further bit of exploration took me across a bridge (over a river), through some trees, and into the other half of the site: a large expanse of land, complete with huge hulks of earthworking machinery, sitting there rusting away. The water I'd seen from the mountain turned out to be a large lake, and on the far side, maybe half a mile away, I could see a big piece of machinery of some sort at the water's edge. I didn't have time to investigate though. This was a year ago.

A few days ago, I was passing through Hope and decided to pay the site another visit. I was amazed. The huge machinery in the centre of the first half of the site were gone. Thankfully the second tall structure with the conveyor was still in situ (photos below). On the second half of the site, all of the smaller machinery was also gone. But....across the lake, the unexplored structure on the water's edge was still there. Twenty minutes later I realised how large it was. I explored it for maybe half an hour (photos below). Some lads messing about on the site told me it was a dredger. There was a crane, lots of conveyor belts and walkways, crane operator's cabin, a room with lots of electrics, and a host of other parts which all seemed to be geared towards moving and sorting material from the lake bed.

Anyone else ever been here?

The Dredger

DSCF0092.jpg

DSCF0093.jpg

DSCF0094.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg

DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0099.jpg

DSCF0106.jpg

DSCF0107.jpg

DSCF0108.jpg

DSCF0110.jpg