real time web analytics
Report - - Drewton railway tunnel - yorks - Nov 09 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Drewton railway tunnel - yorks - Nov 09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
I've visited Drewton tunnel before but all the pictures completely sucked, after being inspired by a fantastic shot by Bunk3r :thumb, i thought i'd re-visit along with chauffeur and runner and try again. Nice explore, thanks fella's, all went well with a classic "he's coming to get you barbara" moment for chauffeur :p and a comedy exit from me :cool:.

a bit of history -
Drewton tunnel is the longest of three tunnels cut right through the wolds by Hull & Barnsley Railway, This 12 mile section contributed to the lines average cost of £59,000 per mile, the total cost of the 53 mile long line being £5.5 million. Built by 8000+ men living in nearby camps, the largest of which had a chapel and shops and was sited at Riplingham. The first goods traffic passed on 20th july 1885 and the passenger service shortly after. The 1 mile 354 yard long Drewton Tunnel was dismantled and closed in 1959.
It would seem that the tunnels main use now is for science experiments by leeds university.

portal
portal.jpg

Tunnel
Drewtontunnel.jpg

group shot
groupshot.jpg

"refuge" arches run at regular intervals
refuge.jpg

Leeds university experiment
scienceexperiment.jpg

Chauffeur
chauffeur.jpg

me
Drewtonshadows.jpg

exit
exit.jpg

thanks for looking :thumb

Runner

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Drewton had been on my list for ages; this was a real "got a couple of hours to kill this week" job. A couple of quick phone calls and we were off across the dark muddy fields of East Yorks.

A few lessons learnt here:
Wet muddy dark fields are slippery in wellies.
Big torch batteries never last as long as you need them to.
Underground photography is seriously addictive.

A few pics:

Up the vent

IMG_7011r.jpg

Brickwork

IMG_6991r.jpg

Internal Refuge

IMG_7016r.jpg