real time web analytics
Report - - Drewton Tunnel, November 2016 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Drewton Tunnel, November 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jaws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Drewton Tunnel is a disused and dismantled railway tunnel that is in the Drewton/Riplingham area of East Yorkshire. Originally built as a part of the Hull and Barnsley railway line, it served as both a passenger and freight service from 1885 and closed in 1958 (though the passenger service ended in 1955) as British Rail decided to divert all traffic through the easier North Eastern Railway route. The main tunnel is 1 mile and 354 yards long, with a shorter tunnel and bridge further along the line.

I and two non members decided, on a foggy Saturday afternoon, to venture out and see if we could find said tunnel having seen a few reports on here and some photos on Instagram.

With no clue where the entrance to the tunnel actually was, I consulted good old OS Explorer 293 to see if I could find any more details, as Google Maps was proving unsuccessful and it was about 3PM at this point. Having found a marker for 'Drewton Tunnel' situated on top of a quarry (matching up what we had seen from reports), we set out to find somewhere to leave the car. Using my excellent knowledge of the roads, we easily found where we needed to be and left the car in some sort of car park-esque passing place at the side of the road, where a few dog walkers had left their 4x4s.

22808717548_055f2edaff_b.jpg

We walked about 200m along the road and found the gate we needed to be over. Using the principle that the farmer 'didn't know that it wasn't going to happen' (to quote an old teacher), we presumed that as there were no signs he wouldn't mind us hopping the gate, and so we did. We walked along a track for about half a mile, and then hopped another gate into a field of sheep.

22768305028_34c8249de4_b.jpg

The fog wasn't so bad at this point, and we could see what looked like a quarry not too far away. We walked along the perimeter fence of the quarry until we found a suitable place to get over the fence (barbed wire and all), and until the last minute were none the wiser that the tunnel was so close to us.

30685433090_8cd1304c52_b.jpg

We came across the shorter tunnel, which is at the bottom of a large gravel path in the quarry, and is completely open to access.

30947241005_71cc2e3f05_b.jpg

30685430700_161d621965_b.jpg

After getting a few photos from the outside we ventured through this tunnel, about 100m long, and after a bit more walking after the tunnel found the bridge I mentioned before.

30685898510_a32a32f0ed_b.jpg

At this point the fog was really starting to set in, but we still managed to get a few photos. Somehow, we managed to arrive ourselves on the top of this bridge, and precariously climbed across it to find a fence, which led us back into the second field we got into on the way there.

Thankfully we had our bearings, otherwise we might have been a bit more lost due to the bad weather, so we headed back the way we came to the car, and vowed to return another time to find the longer tunnel, although we are going to return in the daytime when it is a bit lighter!

Hopefully you enjoyed my report, first one so not sure whether I have included too much/little detail and too many/few photos. Feedback would be appreciated!

EDIT: Thanks to new member JXM3ST for the photographs!

Last edited:

jaws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Photos are top notch, was it taken with film?

I think James' editing style and high ISO makes it look like film, but no, it was taken on a Nikon D3200 with mostly a 35mm 1.8, I'll pass on the good feedback to him!

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I did Drewton about 30 years ago its a nice wander through saw an owl in there also just seemed to add to ambience of the place.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Should revise the Title really too Sugar Loaf Tunnel
If you"d carried on up the cutting you"d have come too Weedley tunnel which is the same length as Sugar Loaf Tunnel @120yds but it"s in dramatically better condition (wouldn"t be hard really) It"s fenced/gated both sides and is still looked after by the Drewton Estate who use it for access.

Drewton is off screw in the cutting or what was the cutting that"s constantly changing due to the quarrying thats going on. I"d suggest using GE where you can see the Airshafts in the surrounding fields to get a better idea of it"s route in relation to the quarry.

Last time i was there the Portal was half covered/filled with quarry slurry for a few hundred yards and may not be accessable/visible now ???? The other end is Steel gated AKA usual Network Rail standerds with Palisade FYI

You will need a good torch & i"d suggest a hard hat as theres large sections where the bricks are blowing off with freeze thaw etc and it"s also one of the coldest tunnels i"ve been in. But nice Photogenically

Maybe i should dust the Film camera off as you get more comments with 3 pics than i do with a full set lit properly ;)

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
The 'to Hull & back' road trip to do the tunnels has been on the cards for us for years now, but not got round to it, yet.
Nice effort this :thumb