real time web analytics
Report - - Dudley Guest Hospital, Dudley Dec 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dudley Guest Hospital, Dudley Dec 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Plenty of history on the previous reports so I'll summarize. Built as an alms house which was never used by the Earl of Dudley, which was purchased in 1908 by Joseph Guest and subsequently turned into a hospital.
The building had a large extension in the 1930's, along with a total refit.

Well I guess I left it a little late to go and see this, however I usually enjoy hospitals which are part way through being demolished as the stripping out process usually reveals some interesting long hidden features. To be fair half the stuff I photographed would not have been visible a month ago so perhaps I did actually pick the perfect time to go...

The front block is very old but looks to have lost all it's original features in the 30's refurb. However much of that 30's charm survives, chiefly in the beautiful period bath rooms and toilets that had survived. There were also some lovely 30's fireplaces in the offices and board room, which were all kitted out with stunning linoleum floors beneath the carpet tiles.

Water tower was worth the climb for good views over the surrounding area. The stone spiral staircase ended abruptly at the top suggesting it was once a little higher, I guess an archive image will confirm this.

All in all a good wander on a drizzly December day, but nothing to write home about.

DSC_0187_zpssx1hdwrr.jpg

DSC_0181_zpsewxr75c1.jpg

DSC_0175_zpslhb6l8be.jpg
DSC_0150_zps8aiftemn.jpg

DSC_0177_zps34mlu0rw.jpg

I just loved this...
DSC_0167_zpsleyzzam1.jpg

DSC_0161_zps2ark9aki.jpg

DSC_0155_zpsggsnmyja.jpg
DSC_0120_zpsd23oe6zx.jpg

DSC_0145_zpsvpsgqnir.jpg

DSC_0144_zps92laaz4f.jpg

That is a BIG table!
DSC_0142_zps30sebeoy.jpg

DSC_0139_zpsjklayopk.jpg

DSC_0137_zpsqql2bcqi.jpg

DSC_0130_zpshxjc4tg6.jpg
DSC_0128_zpsa6qlcxf0.jpg

DSC_0127_zpsb5p0xpzt.jpg

DSC_0126_zpsjaigthbr.jpg

In the tower
DSC_0125_zpsjuazfena.jpg

DSC_0124_zpsbwbfbjok.jpg

DSC_0119_zps3jcsjpyu.jpg
DSC_0109_zpsia6nv6yd.jpg

Tunnels below the original Alms houses
DSC_0115_zpsbejlti2f.jpg

DSC_0114_zpslaxyvsrk.jpg

DSC_0113_zpskqytxjhf.jpg

A simple Minton style floor below lino tile glue :( Barbarians!
DSC_0104_zpsantfuygq.jpg
DSC_0103_zps0hgaf1hc.jpg

DSC_0099_zpsehbkatdh.jpg

DSC_0095_zpsjcsnwobn.jpg

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
nicely covered, any idea when they started tearing into it?? sure it was only about a month ago i went and nothing had started, is the gym still about?

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
nicely covered, any idea when they started tearing into it?? sure it was only about a month ago i went and nothing had started, is the gym still about?

Gone I think, as are all the more recent adjoining corridors. They are just gutting the 30's ward block ready for demo, so that's not going to be standing for long. I poked my head in but it was a bit meh.