real time web analytics
Report - - Dudley Guest Hospital, Dudley - Oct 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dudley Guest Hospital, Dudley - Oct 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
evening all hope everyone's cool, i'm bloody knackered so won't be writing an encyclopedia on this place!

The explore
Had a day of localish exploring around brum and finished the day up natwest tower, bloody nice day exploring, didnt get time to see the tunnels we wanted to but don't think they're going anywhere soon, bumped into monk and co at the first location and then bumped into them again as we turned up they were just leaving this place, good thing really as we were going in blind and they sorted us out some access which was nice, cheers dude much appreciated. quite liked this little mooch, gym ropes are always a winner in my eyes! been meaning to get up here for about a year but just been driving further afield instead of checking out whats on the doorstep, then i saw a few people had been in over recent months and decided would be a good time to give it a go. friend of mine was an extra in a film being filmed here quite recently, which was quite funny, he knows what i do and told me all about his abandoned hospital experience, think its some zombie film or something-as you'd probably expect. anyway im shattered so heres some coffee and waster history from wiki

Victorian origins
Situated in Tipton Road, Dudley the buildings were originally constructed as almshouses in 1849 by the Earl of Dudley to accommodate workers who had become blind in the limestone pits. The armshouses were hardly used and after being altered by the Earl were given to the town as a hospital. In 1871 they were taken over by local chainmaker Joseph Guest.
The 20th century hospital
In 1908, Tipton pawnbroker Hugh Lewis left his entire estate of £80,000 to the hospital.
Most of the hospital was rebuilt between 1929 and 1939, on the far side not visible from Tipton Road, though part of these new buildings were visible from Birmingham New Road which opened in 1927 and allowed for a second vehicular access point (which was closed in the 1990s).[5] A new pre-fabricated timber/plaster board annex was added in the 1960s, and survived until the hospital's closure.[6]
The hospital's accident and emergency department closed in the spring of 1984 and was relocated to the new Russells Hall Hospital. Around this time, fears were rife in the local area that Dudley Guest Hospital was on the verge of closure, but the opening of a new hydrotherapy pool and physiotherapy department in 1986 appeared to silence these fears. However, National Health Service officials announced in July 1990 that they were considering closing the hospital (along with nearby Burton Road Hospital, which ultimately closed in December 1993) and expanding Russells Hall to accommodate replacement facilities, but the hospital survived another 17 years.
The former nurse's home at the hospital was demolished in 1996.[7]
New buildings[edit]
A new horseshoe-shaped extension was opened in 2003, but the old buildings - including the out-patients department - remained in use until October 2007.[8]
Most of the buildings are due to be retained owing to their historic importance, though some of the less significant structures are set to be demolished to make way for a housing development - these include the wards at the rear of the site which were built in the 1930s, as well as the hydrotherapy pool and physiotherapy department. The administration building, former out-patients unit and hospital lodge are set to be retained to form residential properties.[9]
In 2008, it was used to film Ghosthunting with... and stars from I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! ghosthunted in parts of the hospital, just six months after it closed

picywics

22106519662_4fcfcc5ea9_b.jpg

21498064573_91967e84d3_b.jpg

21498020873_f0bce0c39b_b.jpg

21497929863_3d3ef12422_b.jpg

22119027805_e7df4777e8_b.jpg

22129057001_eec8dc170b_b.jpg

22118888555_eec919127c_b.jpg

22118850235_8afa58ae2f_b.jpg

21495789554_2041f26626_b.jpg

21931874179_22f72cd563_b.jpg

21931823829_0144eb3f21_b.jpg

21497549743_17705ee315_b.jpg

thanks for looking kids, i'm crawling into bed

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User
Some nice shots there. Best i've seen so far but not varying much from the other reports I've seen. Are some sections locked down?
Looking forward to seeing more from here.

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
Some nice shots there. Best i've seen so far but not varying much from the other reports I've seen. Are some sections locked down?
Looking forward to seeing more from here.

thanks dude, yeah quite a few padliocked doors about th place, xray room was padlocked and a surgery from what i rememebr

majg18

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report! Beautiful pics! Especially like the last one!!

Have secca just packed up and left on this place then? Loadsa people seem to be getting in lately!