real time web analytics
Report - - Dudley Guest Hospital, West Midlands. | Asylums and Hospitals |

Report - Dudley Guest Hospital, West Midlands.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !



From Wikipedia: 'Dudley Guest Hospital is a hospital located in Dudley, West Midlands, England.

It is situated in Tipton Road, and the buildings were originally constructed in 1849 by the Earl of Dudley to accommodate miners blinded in the numerous local coal mines. The miners rejected the Earl's charity, and the buildings remained empty until 1871, when they were taken over by local chainmaker Joseph Guest and turned into a hospital.

The hospital's accident and emergency department closed in 1983 and was relocated to Russells Hall Hospital. A new horseshoe-shaped extension was opened in 2003, but the old buildings - including the out-patients department - remained in use until October 2007.

Most of the buildings are due to be retained owing to their historic importance, though some of the less significant structures are set to be demolished, and it has been speculated for some time that houses will be built there, although nothing definite has yet been confirmed'.

The visit was carried out in December 2007 but due to various reasons I was not able to upload the photograhs until now. The hospital had only been closed a couple of months when these pictures were taken.


The main building as seen from Tipton Road, the site is opposite the Black Country Living Museum.


Georgina was the name of one of the main wards.


As you walk in through the front door life has simply frozen.


The locker room had a feeling that anyone was just about to walk in and start a shift.


The original doors leading out of one of the wards.


The corridors go on forever. Its a vast site on three levels so these pics do no justice!


One of the original eye operating theatres.


Looking through the cracked window from the tower- the oldest part of the hospital.


An old typewriter- a photo of one of these seems to be an urbex ritual!


A corridor in the most modern part of the hospital, built in the 1980's.


A hydrotherapy pool.


The Outpatients building- this was the original A&E department.


The old A&E area is now Outpatients for eye examinations and the GUM (Sexual health) clinic.


Empty drawers in the GUM clinic area.


Eye testing equipment is still attached to the ceiling.


Time stands still- it seems the clock fell to the floor as they pulled it from the wall.

The hospital has been sold to National Heritage who aim to build eco-houses on the site. There was no damage at all although pikies did get into the cellar to steal copper.

The site now has 24 hour security.

More pictures HERE.

Thank you for looking!