real time web analytics
General - - Dudley underground buildings under castle hill | Mines and Quarries | Page 4 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Dudley underground buildings under castle hill

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Dragon's Lair

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi ecuas,
I am particularly interested in the Stores Cavern. I have been interested since the early 1990's. I found out about it when I was researching for my book on the Drakelow underground factory. I could only find a small amount of info. I did interview someone who moved on to work on the construction of the Stores cavern when he finished working on Drakelow. I have friends in Dudley caving club (formerly Dudley cave rescue) who went into the Stores cavern in the 1970's (with the permission of, and in the company of, the zoo manager). They have 35mm slides of that era, although I have yet to see them. Nick M cCamley found a little bit more info in Secret Underground Cities, but there seems to be very little historical info out there.

Cheers
Paul

Topper

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi ecuas,
I am particularly interested in the Stores Cavern. I have been interested since the early 1990's. I found out about it when I was researching for my book on the Drakelow underground factory. I could only find a small amount of info. I did interview someone who moved on to work on the construction of the Stores cavern when he finished working on Drakelow. I have friends in Dudley caving club (formerly Dudley cave rescue) who went into the Stores cavern in the 1970's (with the permission of, and in the company of, the zoo manager). They have 35mm slides of that era, although I have yet to see them. Nick M cCamley found a little bit more info in Secret Underground Cities, but there seems to be very little historical info out there.

Cheers
Paul

Hi are you Paul who used to have the key to RSG 9?

Thanks Rob

Dragon's Lair

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very interesting. Thanks for posting this. Nice to see some pics from inside at last. They have been talking about this for years though. I hope they are finally going to do something.

Cheers
Dragon's Lair

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I got this by email...

hi i was reading the posts on the WW2 bunker under Dudley Castle ,having a friend who was on Dudley cave rescue team up untill the mid 80s He told me about the buildings in the cavern according to Him they where linked to the cavern system by 2 connecting tunnels and could be reached the cave which was at that time still open on the wooded area the back of the castle ,this cave was known to the local kids as the 144 for reasons unkown to me ,I can remember going into to this cave in the early 90s and you could clearly see that that part at one time had brick lined then dry canal tunels enter it on 3 levals ,you could see the remnants in the walls He did tell me that there had actualy been underground lock or lift systems in place ,one of your reader mentions a very narrow passage leading towards the Castle i think this is what as kids we used to call the womans crack lol ,this passage was a real nerve tester but it actually came out on the other side of the council estate on the Wrens Nest ,another great story referes to when the new caverns where opened up in the early 90s i think ? ,the local news took TV cameras inside on the grand opening they took great pride in telling viewers that this was going to be the 1st time these caves had ever been seen by the general public ,the new electric barge made its was inside in dim light then the main lights where turned on with great pomp and to everyones surprise there sat 3 young kids on the jetty with a bottle of pop and sandwiches ,they had made their way in from the Wrens Nest system to see what all the fuss was about ,i hope some of this may be of interest to some one ,also i do believe that Dudley does still have a cave rescue team linked to the potholing group

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Surely some of this is still accessible somehow?
We need to be getting on touch with someone from that mine rescue group!

Luke270

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Did anyone find anymore out about these tunnels, me and a friend are planning on having a look around soon to see if we can find any ways in to the tunnel system, we have been up wrens nest nature reserve about a year ago to have a look around their but theyre is nothing really of interest as most of the tunnels have been filled in and the only tunnels you can see are surrounded by big gates with anti climb paint, be nice to know if were wasting our time looking into it further or not

MiG

28DL Member
28DL Member
Did anyone find anymore out about these tunnels, me and a friend are planning on having a look around soon to see if we can find any ways in to the tunnel system, we have been up wrens nest nature reserve about a year ago to have a look around their but theyre is nothing really of interest as most of the tunnels have been filled in and the only tunnels you can see are surrounded by big gates with anti climb paint, be nice to know if were wasting our time looking into it further or not
If you mean the "Severn Sisters" then yes they are all blocked up with sand and rubble besides one which has "rocks in a mesh box" (For lack of better wording)

loxxxton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks like things may be progressing or at least they've made available a couple of pics of what's down there - http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/wha...rground-prehistoric-caves-dudley-zoo-13589421
Looks like things may be progressing or at least they've made available a couple of pics of what's down there - http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/wha...rground-prehistoric-caves-dudley-zoo-13589421
Well well. I started this thread years ago and am amazed what you guys have dug up so to speak. I can confirm that the pictures are exactly where me and my mate were early 80's instead of helmeted orange overall wearing cave types imagine 2 nervous teenagers in zoo keeper uniforms and one dodgy torch thinking they were in a scene from raiders of the lost ark!! All during their lunch break

Who has read this thread (Total: 203) View details