real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Duga 3, Chernobyl, Ukraine - October 2013 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Duga 3, Chernobyl, Ukraine - October 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member
Sorry, information lazily re-posted from WikiP, but I have to admit this isn't a topic or type of building I know much about - was more interested in the stuff around it - just glorified scaffolding to me;):

Duga-3 (NATO reporting name "Steel Yard") was a Soviet over-the-horizon radar system. It was developed for the Soviet ABM early-warning network. The system operated from 1976 to 1989. Its distinctive and mysterious shortwave radio signal came to be known in the west as the Russian Woodpecker.

Two stations of Duga-3 were installed: a western system around Chernobyl and an eastern system in Siberia. The transmitter for the western Duga-3 was located a few kilometers southwest of Chernobyl (south of Minsk, northwest of Kiev). The receiver was located about 50 km northeast of Chernobyl (just west of Chernihiv, south of Gomel).
History

The Soviets had been working on early warning radar for their anti-ballistic missile systems through the 1960s, but most of these had been line-of-sight systems that were useful for raid analysis and interception only. None of these systems had the capability to provide early warning of a launch, which would give the defenses time to study the attack and plan a response. At the time the Soviet early-warning satellite network was not well developed, and there were questions about their ability to operate in a hostile environment including anti-satellite efforts. An over-the-horizon radar sited in the USSR would not have any of these problems, and work on such a system for this associated role started in the late 1960s. Duga-3 could detect submarines and missile launches in all of Europe and the Eastern coast of United States.

The first experimental system, Duga-1, was built outside Mykolaiv in Ukraine, successfully detecting rocket launches from Baikonur Cosmodrome at 2,500 kilometers. This was followed by the prototype Duga-2, built on the same site, which was able to track launches from the far east and submarines in the Pacific Ocean as the missiles flew towards Novaya Zemlya. Both of these radar systems were aimed east and were fairly low power, but with the concept proven work began on an operational system. The new Duga-3 systems used a transmitter and receiver separated by about 60 km.

1)
Chernobyl374.jpg

2)
Chernobyl329.jpg

3)
Chernobyl335.jpg

4)
Chernobyl334.jpg

5)
Chernobyl358.jpg

6)
Chernobyl360.jpg

7)
Chernobyl369.jpg

8)
Chernobyl348.jpg

9)
Chernobyl350.jpg

10)
Chernobyl352.jpg

11)
Chernobyl363.jpg

12)
Chernobyl366.jpg

13)
Chernobyl339-1.jpg

14)
Chernobyl375.jpg

15)
Chernobyl372.jpg

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
Re: DUGA 3 at CHERNOBYL October 2013

Looks an amazing place to walk around and great images there mate :thumb

Tomw1989

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: DUGA 3 at CHERNOBYL October 2013

Amazing buddy! Top shots! I love anything Soviet related, me. :thumb

krissigalores

Poison Ivy
28DL Full Member
Love it! Wish I knew what all that writing said. I wanna go to Chernobyl, my ex was gonna take me but you know.. they're an ex now haha.

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member
Love it! Wish I knew what all that writing said. I wanna go to Chernobyl, my ex was gonna take me but you know.. they're an ex now haha.

Always pays to wait til after the trip/birthday/Xmas :tumbleweed

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely done mate, wish I had seen half of this stuff...whilst waiting at the bus :-/

Tobin22

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Would love to visit this place, looks like an absolute goldmine. I imagine it's eerily quiet though! Some great shots there anyway mate.

Lolz101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I never saw that really long corriddor, looks interesting. Clearly to busy being a bus wanker. Nice flicks !