real time web analytics
Report - - "Dumpy 'B'", Dover (December 2020) | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - "Dumpy 'B'", Dover (December 2020)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheReturningCynic

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After Friday evening's fun and games at Henley's Air Shelter in Gravesend, Saturday morning saw us Dover bound - with a couple of locations that were basically guaranteed, and one or two that required some further research. The first stop? One of our guaranteed ones - Dumpy B.

History
A recent structure by the standards of Dover, Dumpy B was built in 1942 as a communications bunker. Constructed as a pair of parallel tunnels, Dumpy B contained communications equipment and accomodation for the personnel required to operate it. The original entrance - for use by people on foot - has long since been backfilled. In contrast to similar bunkers, Dumpy B has a few idiosyncracies - including features of the ventilation, and the lining of the tunnels. Sub Brit has a quite extensive write-up on the location.

The Visit

50713548838_a73c197943_c.jpg

Our first destination was the site of the original - now closed - entrance; an unlined chalk passage running at quite a steep gradiant. Interestingly someone has also tried to access the top, as seen by the presence of rope. On a tight schedule we opted to remain in the lower chambers though.

50714290086_0bb23eb015_c.jpg

50714370307_65a144056c_c.jpg

50714368607_2408e33139_z.jpg

Like many other sites, Dumpy B has become something of a "living guest book", with various names chalked in to the walls - whilst there's many recent ones, some of the dates go back to the 1970s. Although, that's not to say that names are the only artistic impressions chalked on the walls, on the contrary - one alternative even has a room dedicated to it...

50714368382_cd0e7ecb47_z.jpg

50714364862_6633cdca15_c.jpg

With the cries of "that looks quite decent, I may take a photo of tha... nevermind, there's a giant cock in the shot" behind us, we continued our jaunt through the various rooms and corridors.

50714284351_7652ae6349_c.jpg

50714362997_47202550b4_c.jpg

Although very little of this complex actually hints at it's prior use, it has become synonymous with one particular sight - and although it was a quick "point and shoot!" shot, it would've been remiss not to have had a quick snap:

50714282101_54252b341a_z.jpg

...and, finally - of course - the obligatory silhoette shot that all the cool kids do.

50713547328_f9520f51fc_c.jpg

Final Thoughts

Honestly? I was never really in to this kind of location - i.e. the archetypal Dover underground bunker, one without any real connection to it's previous use. This was actually a thoroughly enjoyable way to spend an afternoon though, and even if I originally viewed it as simply "a place to tick off on the way elsewhere", I now think it's definitely worthy of a visit in it's own right!

TheReturningCynic

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice narrative there. Like a tea light shot now & again:thumb

Thanks! I tried to tell a little story, especially as it was a bit of a revelation for me! Dover was an area that I never considered too much, I never knew these sites were my cup of tea!

I'm partial to the odd tea-light, but when my friend discovered that there was already a collection at Henley's the night before... it seemed to ignite something in him, and now he's utterly obsessed!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Decent that, thanks for taking the time to write something up and share here :thumb

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You made that look pretty decent with the tea lights and all that. Nice set...

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Another good report, plenty more underground to tickle your fancy with in Dover and surrounding areas

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Awesome stuff that, not been down there in a while, good to see it's still open :0

Who has read this thread (Total: 285) View details