real time web analytics
Report - - Dungivens Forgotten River Update | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dungivens Forgotten River Update

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

cjdonnelly

Tunnelmaster
28DL Full Member
I Have returned to the burn to see what it looks like since summer and already a change not at the big bridge or my great grannies bridge but the sandstone Ballyquinn one in the middle the one with the deep hole under it. heres a few photos of the other bridges nd a much clear shot because i got a very good phone now.

First Stop The Big Bridge or New Street Bridge.
1546732955180.jpg

low water levels so far. Better quality though
1546733025022.jpg

Looking Straight down this is about a lorry trailer in height from the top of the bridge parapet to the River . Flood debris seems to been gathered up due to winter storms
1546733123087.jpg

Looking Downstream Towards The Big Tunnel as you can see a lot of rubbish has gathered up on the gate.
From here it disappears into the tunnel I explored back in the summer time. This used to be all open river in my early days im 16 comming 17 now. The last time I seen it open was 10 or so years ago since I seen the river open well thats when I seen it it was buried in 2012/3 maybe round that time as far as I know.

Second Stop Ballyquinn Steet Bridge [sandstone bridge]

1546733767974.jpg

This is currently the only side visible so far the downstream end of the Ballyquinn bridge. This is the end of the big tunnel for now anyways as this short section will disappear likely this year houses are being built over the river here. the Pellipar Burn exits the tunnel of the Ballyquinn bridge and enters the culvert that comes out of Pellipar Bridge. My Great Granny lives next to this bridge just behind that mobile home on the left that old bridge its called Pellipar bridge because that ancient bridge carries a lane to pellipar house estate where this river got its name from.

On The Upstream side of this bridge the river is currently buried deep below the ground in a 6 foot concrete culvert but I do remember the time when the river ran open here . It was basicly a dumping ground here. When I was younger when we would go to the old now abandined John T bar and restaraunt I would always walk on the sandstone parapet which was safe bacause its one of those bridges where there is a ramp on each side not a straight fall unlike the other two bridges mentioned here . Anyways I would look down the glen here into the river and see tons of rubbish ranging from household waste wood palets and even old 1990s to early 2000 boxy tvs laying on the ground on the other side of the all some in the river. The river was a lot faster on this side aand there was a storm drain sewer overflow on the far end I have no idea where it is diverted to now but it used to empty stormwater in here.
1546734682589.png

google maps image of the now buried river now on to Old Pellipar Bridge.
1546734922267.jpg

The old stone arch of the old bridge. That log on the right used to hold a Old Kettler Gokart in the riverbed until the river got the better of it. it it lay down there for as many years as I can remember a really long time. Heres a picture
1546735313043.png

River Gokart.
1546735400401.jpg

The square tunnel thats visible from the ballyquinn bridge under the old bridge.
1546735504362.jpg

Standing under the arch.

1546735560220.jpg

1546735582452.jpg

1546735610904.jpg

An old reel pushmower in the water looks to been there a while.
THANKS FOR LOOKING

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
i never knew that a river could be abandoned but i guess its different!