real time web analytics
Report - - Dunsley springs level, via gellia - oct 21 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dunsley springs level, via gellia - oct 21

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jl.urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So for this explore, I actually met up with @HughieD and his friend. The original plan was to go to slaley sough, and if time permitted check out Dunsley.

Slaley is quite difficult to find, and it even states this on pdci. After about an hour and a very very boggy walk through at the top of a very steep wooded hillside (we started at the bottom of) we decided to head back towards the other caves.

HughieD had to leave as on a short time schedule, I decided to continue looking for dunsley.

With a few minutes of them leaving, I was at the entrance.

It's less than 1km, so I decided to check it out.

Turned out to be a nice little walk with a few nice formations, and a risky decision at the end.

I can not find any history on the mine. Just that there is aparantly a winze at the end. Which I did not see.

For the explore

The entrance

Just inside

Some formations above a short way in

Almost straight adit

Beleive it's calcite flow on the wall

A very small split, presumably some miners could pass each other

A small climb over some old fall from above

Looks to be deads, not sure why they are there

A very small amount of fall a little further in

And this is where I decided to call it a day, being as I was alone. There is space to squeeze through above and below that rock that's wedged in the middle of that gap, maybe that winze is further on.

There was a what could of been winze, maybe filled, or maybe never dug. But it wasn't at "the end".

Who knows, maybe I'll revisit.

A small dead end passage, I didn't actually notice until the way out.

And finally, some more cool flows/formations.

Hope you enjoyed

Until next time gellia

Quick copy and paste of a very small paragraph on history.

An early 19th century attempt to try the Great Rake under the toadstone; there are picked numbers on the wall which appear to relate to the distance to the vein. The level eventually reaches a winze, the reason for this is that they hit the toadstone before they hit the vein, had to go down under it, only to find that the vein is pretty much a 3ft wide streak of calcite when they eventually got to it. There is a lower level which does carry on a bit further, possibly chasing scrins but again there doesn't seem to have been anything worthwhile.

Last edited:

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good to meet you mate and sorry we were on a shorter time frame.

Looks a good little explore that. Deffo going to give it a look...

Last edited:

Jl.urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We had 3 pins to work with, stood literally on all 3, and everywhere in between, could not find it. Hopefully me and fallout will find it sunday

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Lovely stuff. Those deposits looks so pretty. You've photography them lovely. I like seeing this kind of thing beneath our feet, its fascinating

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
I managed to find Slaley, its someway up the hill and theres a small tip with an adit going underneath a tree. Never got In because there is a lot of mud inside.

It was some time ago but I recall going up the hill behind the house with the cable car in the garden.

Edit: Looks like its further along towards the quarry.

Last edited:

Jl.urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I managed to find Slaley, its someway up the hill and theres a small tip with an adit going underneath a tree. Never got In because there is a lot of mud inside.

It was some time ago but I recall going up the hill behind the house with the cable car in the garden.

Edit: Looks like its further along towards the quarry.

Yeah I followed the public footpath past dunsley and along the top of the hill.

I think I'm going tomorrow so may take that approach, cheers

Jl.urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah that looks like the entrance, but a better picture than I have seen previously.

All the pins I have found previously aernt that close to the road, there is an adit along the road level in that area though.

I'll have to broaden my search a little when I go back.

Thanks mate