real time web analytics
Report - - Durham Swimming Baths 'Aug 2016' | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Durham Swimming Baths 'Aug 2016'

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

karl k

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
In the 1920's, the first building was described as old-fashioned and inconvenient by Durham City Council. They later took full advantage of a government aid to construct a new building to provide the city of public swimming pools, slipper baths and wash houses. It was this building that is thought to be believed that started off school swimming lessons.John Wilfred Green designed and engineered the build of the new building that was officially opened in 1932 at a cost of around £31,500. Separate entrances were provided for men and women, with a ticket office between. The entrances led to separate waiting halls, where doors opened onto the first and second class Slipper bath corridors and Bath Halls.

EVENTS
So we planned a visit to Durham Baths.
We rushed in from work and rallied the troops and headed straight for Durham. We have visited this site quiet a wile ago and had returned to take a few snaps.
We planned to use the same entrance as the last time but as we quickly discovered the whole building had been fully secured and a lot of measures had been taken to secure the building IE a big spiky fence and coiled wire all around the perimeter so it only left one option. I rushed to a friends house to borrow his spider man outfit and had to do down that route, We found ourselves on the roof top in no time and my spidey senses where tingling within a matter of seconds after hearing a loud thud inside the building and once inside we discovered a homeless camp with cigarettes still smouldering in the make shift ashtray next to a bed and lavvy roll haha!
The building is still in pretty good condition structural wise and it may be a small place but it is a really really nice place to visit we stayed for a few hours. I could only snap a few pictures because it got dark quiet quickly.

If you would like to watch the video we shot on this place it is available on my youtube channel and also shows the homeless persons bed and cigarettes as mentioned above and also many more locations ideas to visit around the north east of England and also the shenanigans on the roof haha.
Thanks for having a read through and i hope you like to the pictures.

My youtube Link:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCca3tbhniDZRegfCYEj_XWQ

29142355141_c64ac6522f_b.jpg

29186574186_d6e78beb2e_b.jpg

28598131164_f8817d2b7a_b.jpg

29112587222_543c7dc1df_b.jpg

29186526006_872852f8d2_b.jpg

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's turned into one of those places where the graff makes it more interesting, I like it. Nice job

Cringeworthy

28DL Member
28DL Member
These pictures are a shock. I used to swim here while attending a local school in 1981 (ish). It was a really nice place. PE lessons were actually enjoyable when they included a trip here.