real time web analytics
Report - - Dyson Ceramics, Stannington, Sept 15 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dyson Ceramics, Stannington, Sept 15

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Dyson Group, Ceramics Factory, Stannington

Introduction:

My 50th report on 28dl I do believe... Do I get a gold star or something? :p haha

Here's one that's been done to death over the years... Visited with @BoroLad to take up a couple of hours in the afternoon. I think we were both quite pleasantly surprised by this place actually, don't get me wrong, it's certainly trashed, but I think we both came away with better pics than we were expecting. There's a fair bit to see, the highlight for me been the Crompton Parkingson Electrical Gear, which I've been meaning to go and see for years now... It's going to be a bit of a repetitive report as everyman and his dogs been here, but hopefully the pics will make your read a little more interesting?

History:

The Dyson Group was founded by John Dyson in Stannington back in 1834. Dyson was born in Sheffield in 1777 and was baptised in St Peter's, Sheffield on the 28th of May 1777, he died on the 24th of December 1851 and is buried in Christ Church, Stannington. The business was a success from the word go, creating ceramics for the local steel industry and homes. Very little can be said in the way of history as Dysons would go on successfully creating ceramics using the same traditional method of gas fired kilns right up until 2005 when the Stannington works was closed due to the gas bill becoming too costly to justify. The Dyson Group does still continue to produce ceramics in their Totley factory, just up the road.

Pictures:

As always, relevant information will be included alongside the images...

Exterior:

The exterior of the factory is pretty impressive, although it's been trashed, a lot of nice features still remain, notably the 1945 built brick chimney.

20955685734_94d40a8ed3_c.jpg

21587305011_673abbb6c9_c.jpg

Shop Floor Kilns:

Moving inside the bottom end of the building we explore the kilns, this is where the production of the bricks would have taken place. Myself and Borolad where still surprised to find these in here, as we'd thought the planned demolition had progressed further than it actually has, that said, it looks as though the large red brick kilns have gone sadly.

21568001962_89afc293da_c.jpg

21391421258_608560991b_c.jpg

The roof is pretty much non-existent in places...

21391398268_895d401a02_c.jpg

20958038773_c5b41a01be_c.jpg

21587980101_96a622cc8f_c.jpg

BoroLad giving the derp a little spring clean...

20957986363_50bee09517_c.jpg

21391289638_6bce018909_c.jpg

Next door where these slightly more modern looking kilns... The last order seemingly large ceramic balls...

21579257245_78f95db590_c.jpg

21391158770_244a4a08d5_c.jpg

Moulds...

21392277839_175cb94fda_c.jpg

Workshop & Stores:

This area was pretty interesting, it's a bloody mess... But there's a lot to see. The stores are still rammed with the old wooden moulds, all individually hand crafted, plus a large variety of paperwork and tools/spares to look through.

21568085762_974c1cbfd0_c.jpg

21553215456_fee64a805a_c.jpg

21391349730_95c201e135_c.jpg

Blast Helmet...

20957048934_1b6db255fc_c.jpg

20958637453_5e1f5b7049_c.jpg

21392879649_9c3c1a98fe_c.jpg

21568455322_0ba19d1913_c.jpg

Shop Floors & Crompton Parkingson Electrical Gear:

Saving the best till last, for me anyway, that gorgeous Crompton Parkinson Electrical gear... It looks like something out of Frankenstein... Makes me wonder if this set was still in use up until 2005? Surely not...?

21391932380_864cc08a17_c.jpg

21580051445_47e25540c5_c.jpg

21568744492_64ab1a66a7_c.jpg

21568753362_92e40b6586_c.jpg

And finally, boots... Every derp has a pair...

21568696092_7032ae6d32_c.jpg

And that's all from here! If you're in the area, call in, it's not as bad as you might have thought!
Cheers for reading!
TAW :)

Last edited:

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Surprising to see so much there still as I too thought it had all gone now. Nice shots too :thumb

Vertigo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was it secca fenced to high hell when you went. I can't find a way in to a single building at all. They are all securely fenced and bolted with no way through or over. Not even into 1 building.

Bigian88

The Massive Mancunian
28DL Full Member
I went around a month ago and it was straight forward to get on the site if you didn't mind being in public view for a few moments or minded a little fence climbing away from the front, I didn't even bother getting my camera out and just snapped a few shots on my phone as the place is completely destroyed.

The house across the road from it had a nice car which ended up being more interesting to look at than this place.

Vertigo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went around a month ago and it was straight forward to get on the site if you didn't mind being in public view for a few moments or minded a little fence climbing away from the front, I didn't even bother getting my camera out and just snapped a few shots on my phone as the place is completely destroyed.

The house across the road from it had a nice car which ended up being more interesting to look at than this place.
Yeh I got on site no problem just can't get in anywhere lol.

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You still got some nice piccies in there, not as trashed as I'd thought.....might have to take a look if I'm passing ;)
Thanks for sharin :thumb

ledgehammer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Still some nice pic opportunities to be had thx for report and pics
yeh, nice report - we scouted it, there was some officials on the site we managed to avoid, but was mostly derp, so we left it - an oversight perhaps. There is a place towards damflask which is huge, next to a yorkshire water place next to a fishing lake - a big derp but does anyone know of it?

oldskater

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
that would be the old brickworks.

Access is easy, and theres some nice photo opps.

just dont wander into the large open square mid complex. there is a solar powered cctv uplink sat there.

nice report here.

as your driving to it on the lane down there's a derelict house on the right. DONT be temped to explore that. its home to a few traveller families who own monster dogs..

ledgehammer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

just dont wander into the large open square mid complex. there is a solar powered cctv uplink sat there.

nice report here.

as your driving to it on the lane down there's a derelict house on the right. DONT be temped to explore that. its home to a few traveller families who own monster dogs..

cheers, we took a look around on our way back from damflask and bradfield waterworks, solar panel rings a bell funny as someone was telling me about an old brickworks rivalin way, they probably meant this although its the other side - they mentioned tools and stuff which confused me.

we saw the house and saw a caravan, normally enough on its own without the dogs e.t.c...

nice one for the info :-)

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User

nice report here.

cheers, we took a look around on our way back from damflask and bradfield waterworks, solar panel rings a bell funny as someone was telling me about an old brickworks rivalin way, they probably meant this although its the other side - they mentioned tools and stuff which confused me.

we saw the house and saw a caravan, normally enough on its own without the dogs e.t.c...

nice one for the info :-)

Yes we saw that house too, steered well clear!

I'd say the place is worth a closer look @ledgehammer if you're in the area again, I wouldn't say it's worth making a special trip for though!