real time web analytics
Report - - Dyson Refractories, Stannington, Sheffield. May 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dyson Refractories, Stannington, Sheffield. May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Meersbrook

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The company was founded by John Dyson who began mining clay and making bricks in the early 1800s. From the very beginning the business was a success.
By 1838 the business was listed as "John Dyson and Son, black clay miners and firebrick manufacturers, Griffs House, Stannington."Dyson's were later manufacturers of refractory material, ceramics for the steel industry, they also produce fire backs and other household ceramic bricks.
Dyson's manufacturing process relied heavily on gas fired kilns. With increased in energy costs the plants was no longer economically viable, despite the very best efforts of the management and staff alike the site closed circa 2005.

I only visited one of the buildings, one which I haven't seen here yet.

I4Dglbg.jpg

DJBBIHM.jpg

e2BCJ5F.jpg

vCX5WVf.jpg

ydEi5Fw.jpg
czQoaiE.jpg

o6yKIDk.jpg

Sorry.

XkpmAsa.jpg

8h0IYnC.jpg

AZrm4iM.jpg

WOE9qoX.jpg
7quq4Ue.jpg

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pics mate :)

I was surprised it was still standing when i went past a few weeks ago. Had expected it too be completely flat by now, but it does not seem a lot of Demo has gone on since Oct 13 TBH Probably still removing the Asbestos that seems to clad everything.

AuntieKnickers

inquisitive historian
28DL Full Member
They've been planning on demo'ing this place since the summer 2012 when myself, stig and tassadar discovered this, it looks no different (maybe a bit more pikied) to then.