real time web analytics
Report - - Dyson & son, Stannington. May 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dyson & son, Stannington. May 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

stainlessmike

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
dysonstack_zps8724b41a.jpg

J & J Dyson Thermal Technologies Refractories, Stannington, Sheffield.

THE HISTORY
Dyson Thermal Technologies is a trading name of Dyson Industries Ltd, a member of the Dyson Group PLC.
They originally started life as a brick works in the 1800s. Dyson was traditionally known as a high quality, high volume refractory
manufacturer in the UK. Unfortunately Dyson's traditional manufacturing process relied heavily on gas fired kilns.
With the well-publicised increases in energy costs the plants economic viability could not be maintained, despite the very best
efforts of the management and staff alike they closed in 2005. Moving their operations to cheaper manufacturing opportunities in China.

THE VISIT
This is a great location, Myself and Dapperdan have made return visits over the past year or so, just to take it all in.
After another recent trip out there, I thought i'd drop in a post. We always tend to be rather subtle when urbexing,
keeping the noise down, not disturbing anything more than can be helped etc.
But on this visit we found the previous visitors had a rather different philosophy. Much of the skylights and windows have been smashed,
doors kicked in and generally trashing the place. It's now a lot more exposed to the elements, so it can deteriorate from here.
Great shame because before, even though it's a great destination for lovers of UE, it seemed to remain fairly undisturbed.

trashedexterior_zps13b83ebf.jpg

Looks like this part of the exterior was demolished to remove whatever the machinery was there when the factory closed.

outside_zps7aafa327.jpg

If you go on google maps you realise the scale of this site.

outside2_zps70935fe0.jpg

Managed to get some outside shots before dusk

factorysunlit_zps8c24857c.jpg

Only two minutes of sunshine all day and I caught it.

thegreathall_zpsdbe2d430.jpg

Lots of these skylights now smashed. Which on the plus side free's up all the trapped pigeons.

ultimateaircon_zps00c87c6d.jpg

The ultimate air con

Dantakingiteasy_zps9da20579.jpg

Dapperdan takes it easy in the Chesterton suite.

storeroom4_zpsd13f04ea.jpg

Part of the storerooms

storeroom2_zpsfe42d956.jpg

The brilliant, if somewhat ransacked storeroom

electricswitchesx2_zpsde041a6b.jpg

Is it just me, or does everybody imagine throwing the switch on some unfortunate wretch in old sparky?

11000volts_zps69772e1d.jpg

Health and safety

medicinechest_zpsd2e0ca6d.jpg

Just in case nobody takes a blind bit of notice of the health and safety, theres a well stocked first aid box...

Thanks for looking.