real time web analytics
Report - - Dyson Thermal Technologies, Stannington - July 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dyson Thermal Technologies, Stannington - July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Dyson Thermal Technologies was founded in the early 1800s, in the small valley of Stannington, by John Dyson. Initially it was operated solely by Mr. Dyson, who single-handedly mined clay to make bricks; however, by 1838 the business was listed as John Dyson and Son: Black Clay Miners and Firebrick Manufacturers. In the years that followed, Dyson became known as a high quality, high volume refractory manufacturer in the UK, and as the company grew it also became a manufacturer for ceramics; for the booming steel industry in Sheffield. Unfortunately, however, as technologies progressed in the late 90s and early 00s, which made it more economically viable to run plants that incurred lower energy costs, Dyson’s traditional manufacturing process which relied heavily on using gas fired kilns became increasingly more expensive to maintain. By 2005 a decision was made to move all operations to China and, subsequently, the plant closed down later that year; although the offices continued to operate for some time after the ‘official’ closure date to ensure that the relocation was smooth and efficient.

Knowing that Dyson Thermal Technologies has been done countless times before, I can’t say we expected much as we pulled up outside. Nevertheless, we were driven to visit on account of the slither of curiosity that remained somewhere inside ourselves. The day didn’t look hopeful as we set off in the rough direction of Stannington though, as dark clouds loomed in the sky and the windscreen began to blur with a light patter of rain. However, fortunately, when we arrived the rain decided to stop momentarily, so we seized the moment and darted inside as quickly as two sleep-deprived people could manage. Once inside, while staring at a semi-demolished section of the plant, we instantly began to wonder what we were doing and why we’d wasted the time to even get out of the car. But, we decided to persevere and all in all I’m quite glad we did. While the upstairs parts of the plant are almost entirely ruined, downstairs, in the lower sections, the old brick kilns can be found, and they were certainly worth the effort. Additionally, as we made our way around more of the site, other interesting relics of Dyson’s factory began to emerge and, although a lot of it has been vandalised, some fairly photogenic bits and pieces still remain.

Explored with Ford Mayhem.

1: Dyson Thermal Technologies Chimney

DSC_0160az_zpscd6sc87r.jpg

2: Lift and Cage

DSC_0171az_zpsebrjvxch.jpg

3: Dyson Technologies in Ruins

DSC_0181az_zpsttqis415.jpg

4: Leftover Pallets

DSC_0183az_zpseadj9kop.jpg

5: Heading Downstairs

DSC_0161_zpsv0hspkpva_zpsbaowvrbt.jpg

6: Office Downstairs

DSC_0207az_zpsxdmy6h7c.jpg

7: Some of the Good Stuff

DSC_0209az_zpsmmqeb2gh.jpg

8: Old Produce

DSC_0221az_zpsy4b2f4vv.jpg

9: Broken Cart

DSC_0236az_zpstog0tthx.jpg

10: Dyson's Warehouse

DSC_0230az_zpsrumyrykg.jpg

11: Single Chair in the Warehouse

DSC_0235az_zpsztss7dcp.jpg

12: Kiln Area

DSC_0237az_zpshogenj1v.jpg

13: Kilns

DSC_0242az_zpsbyzm1ret.jpg

14: Looking Inside one of the Large Kilns

DSC_0245az_zpsdhjt7gxb.jpg

15: Workmen's Lockers

DSC_0250az_zpstf2s2ki6.jpg

16: Storage Area

DSC_0253az_zpsdimy2qaz.jpg

17: Oil Tankers

DSC_0256az_zpsecif0szy.jpg

18: Dyson from Up Above

DSC_0258az_zps5hl5zpee.jpg

19: Looking Down

DSC_0262az_zpsxfwxmiw4.jpg

20: We Have Power

DSC_0280az_zpspsvr8fqh.jpg

21: Amperes

DSC_0286az_zpsszirv3cb.jpg

22: The Red Chair

DSC_0287az_zpsco4sngyt.jpg

23: Looking Through to the Garage

DSC_0300az_zpsed1zsrri.jpg

24: Scales

DSC_0307az_zps60oe8aeb.jpg

25: Former Workshop Area

DSC_0311az_zpsi2aanfvs.jpg

26: Files and Paperwork

DSC_0323az_zpsqnrqrtz0.jpg

27: Storage Racks

DSC_0334az_zpsg9nzpnh7.jpg

28: 'Leave Only Footprints'

DSC_0340az_zpsjfk67yjr.jpg

29: Walking Among the Ruins

DSC_0232_zpszrqtmg5ja_zps13tqufuv.jpg

30: The Chimney

DSC_0236_zpsq3gvmunha_zpsjhlxe0p9.jpg

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
:thumbNice ones matey
Not much seems to have changed over the Last year. It's like they started and stopped .

Where's the classic shot of the 'Dyson' centrifuge device ?? (Vacuum; )

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was just wondering if this was still standing - demolition had started when I found myself there in a snowstorm a few years back. Every year it seems they start again then abandon it. Looks like the stores have taken a trashing - they were a nice rummage. Has the office block by the road gone now then?

Nicely shot :thumb

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
:thumbNice ones matey
Not much seems to have changed over the Last year. It's like they started and stopped .

Where's the classic shot of the 'Dyson' centrifuge device ?? (Vacuum; )

Cheers mate. Got a shot of pretty much everything, had to knock a few photos from the report :P

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
I was just wondering if this was still standing - demolition had started when I found myself there in a snowstorm a few years back. Every year it seems they start again then abandon it. Looks like the stores have taken a trashing - they were a nice rummage. Has the office block by the road gone now then?

Nicely shot :thumb

Yeah, some of the buildings are in quite a bad condition. They're still there. We had a look through them, but there didn't seem anything worth posting up.