real time web analytics
Report - - Easington and Dictrict Workmens Club, County Durham, May 2014 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Easington and Dictrict Workmens Club, County Durham, May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Nice, relaxed little afternoon’s mooch… which was a long time coming as the place closed around 2007/8 but never managed to get around to visiting due to one thing or another. TBH, with the previous reports, I thought it may not be worth it now, but with plenty of paperwork to rummage about in… (Always a good thing!), I’m glad I made the effort.
As with a lot of WMC’s, this is yet another to have closed down.. . which is such a shame. A few more have/or are on the cards to be closed down in the NE, to which Im currently keeping an eye on for opportune visits.
Surprisingly, I cannot find anything in the way of history… even though some documents in the archives date back to 1940’s… apologies for that, but if anyone can point me in the direction of history, or indeed add it to this thread… it would be much appreciated..
Visited with Dave, thanks for a great afternoon.

EasingtonWMC061_zps1d96b01e.jpg

EasingtonWMC054_zps0140608b.jpg

EasingtonWMC052_zps71825d0a.jpg

EasingtonWMC048_zps828311f5.jpg

EasingtonWMC046_zpseee24e57.jpg

EasingtonWMC045_zps843d8fa8.jpg

EasingtonWMC044_zpsf9b07143.jpg

EasingtonWMC038_zps4853a623.jpg

EasingtonWMC036_zpsa7868913.jpg

EasingtonWMC025_zps66169e8a.jpg

EasingtonWMC024_zps2cfa85d2.jpg

EasingtonWMC022_zps88c50653.jpg

EasingtonWMC019_zps556dcaf7.jpg

EasingtonWMC017_zps4e1b0f46.jpg

EasingtonWMC014_zpsa8d35366.jpg

EasingtonWMC012_zps90430951.jpg

EasingtonWMC008_zps63698406.jpg

EasingtonWMC007_zpsb7f4574f.jpg

EasingtonWMC004_zpsf236d9cd.jpg

EasingtonWMC002_zpsd490c26a.jpg

Cat
:)

Pigeon

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one Cat, I dismissed this as a good splore given the state of the outside but I think I might have a nosey next time I'm passing through Easington. Love that sketch of the old colliery. :thumb

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
I like this a lot, seems to have not lost much of the charm of a working mans club considering it has been closed for so long, can almost here the bar singer, cheesy bingo caller and see the haze of many Lambert and Bultlers being puffed.

Thanks for sharing, well worth the effort :thumb

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Nice one Cat, I dismissed this as a good splore given the state of the outside but I think I might have a nosey next time I'm passing through Easington. Love that sketch of the old colliery. :thumb

thats the mistake I made! well worth a look in, even though a few year too late its still worth a mooch

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
I like this a lot, seems to have not lost much of the charm of a working mans club considering it has been closed for so long, can almost here the bar singer, cheesy bingo caller and see the haze of many Lambert and Bultlers being puffed.

Thanks for sharing, well worth the effort :thumb

Cheers, TLR... was a nice mooch... and maybe the "haze of L & B" may have been re-created... due to a ciggy break on my part :)

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Also... Pic 10.... suspended ceiling... with a glass roof above it... if anyone in N.E. can shed any light [no pun intended] on why it was built this way (basically the nice glass roof is hidden via the ceiling... so Im stumped as to why it was built this way).... I appreciate any info.

Last edited:

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Looking at pic 10, the reason was just to make a useful functional room. The building was used as something else originally, just 1 large open room with a glass roof originally, add a suspended celling and it is transformed into a working mans club, intense L & B aromas, no hassle with the glass windows overhead when performances are going on and reduced heating costs. Many old buildings have been split this way even just for office areas.

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
^
cheers for that.
I had suspected that, but from what i could gather from talking to NE people, was that it "was always like that"..... which i doubted very much.

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great work there Cat and thanks for a spiffing afternoon you have captured the place very well considering its trashed state it was sad to see how it has deteriorated since my visit about 3 or 4 years ago. Some bad smells in there too i dont think we saw all of it it certainly is much bigger inside typical tardis effect.

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cat hope you dont mind stuck up a couple for comparison here's one from around 2 or 3 years ago and one from our visit just to show how its gone downhill.

8503945145_c0ba4c0140_b.jpg

14302965293_2d4b022ca8_b.jpg

Would love to see a pic of this area when it was in use you can just imagine a local club singer or comedian on that stage entertaining the members.

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
wow..... what a difference indeed! Thanks for posting those, its interesting to see how it used to look (such a shame too)

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Love the signage as others have said. Reminds me of Nocton Hall Hospital signs (1940s?) Not sure about Liberty Hall though, it usually means "This is Liberty-hall. You may do just as you please here" Doesn't fit with the disciplinary book and no-swearing sign!

If anyone can point me in the direction of history

Not much on-line, but it was registered with the Bank of England Prudential Regulation Authority, on the Mutuals Public Register, on 29th December 1910, so that's when the club started. Doesn't mean the building is that old though.

Two other clubs on the same road were registered in 1911 and 1912. Is that when mining started at Easington?

I got a couple of hits from the Durham Record Office too, but can't see the details from Leicester!