Web
Analytics
Report - - East Fortune Hospital, East Lothian - Oct 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - East Fortune Hospital, East Lothian - Oct 2014

flanka

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So this is my first report... here goes!

East Fortune originally opened as a tuberculosis sanatorium in 1922 with 210 beds for men and women and special wards for children. The site had first been developed as a naval air station during WW1 , and during peace time it was adopted for Sanatorium use. During WW2 the Sanatorium was taken over by the RAF as an airfield. In the post-war years the hospital was re-purposed as a psychiatric facility, East Fortune hospital closed in 1997 and has been derelict ever since.

East Fortune is typical of early 20th century hospitals with a main “streetâ€￾ lined with single storey wards and other buildings. The ward buildings are fronted with open air verandas, as “fresh airâ€￾ treatment for TB was very much in vogue. Having been closed for almost 2 decades the place has obviously been visited quite a lot and decay has set in well, although the buildings all seemed structurally sound.

So on with the photos, a few external shots
DSCN0224_zps364a4158.jpg

The veranda running the length of the ward buildings
DSCN0279_zpsdc55c75a.jpg

Helpful warning sign
DSCN0239_zpsa0425490.jpg

There were lots of typed out warning notes about the place concerning asbestos .. "If you are here to see ghosts you have been scammed!"
DSCN0225_zps907632fc.jpg

Inside one of the main buildings, a recreation room I suspect.
DSCN0250_zps778f17ac.jpg

DSCN0249_zps3162394e.jpg

DSCN0248_zps9e6af6cc.jpg

And on our way out, a nice helpful warning that we will be eaten
DSCN0307_zps59d43d91.jpg

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member
Very nice - signs made me laugh :)

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes it has to be said not bad at all that for a first report. I assume you went into the boiler house one of the best bits for me. Nice to see this again its a while since ive seen anything from here.

flanka

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes it has to be said not bad at all that for a first report. I assume you went into the boiler house one of the best bits for me. Nice to see this again its a while since ive seen anything from here.
Nope must have missed that, dammit!

Echo Seven

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The asbestos warning sign is fantastic! especially the advice about what kind of death you can expect!