real time web analytics
Question - - East Goscote / Leicestershire / Tunnel System? | Underground Sites | Page 8 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - East Goscote / Leicestershire / Tunnel System?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

westhebrown

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hey guys, I've been watching this forum for a while as im keen to know more about the villages history.

While I haven't contacted the likes of Jelson's, or been to any archive, I have been doing some research in particular with the tunnels. I don't have much atm due to still working on things, what I do have is very interesting none the less.

On the playing field, near the Scout Hut, you may, or may not have noticed some odd square concrete structures recessed into the ground. The two structures have what appears to be two door-like panels on top, covering whatever is underneath.

Also on the playing field, in the bushes areas, there are two more structures that are very similar to the above, only these are circular shaped and lack doors. They however are filled with rubble, so I don't know if there is any open space underneath them anymore. They resemble tunnel air shafts.

Now the two above are in a straight line, so rule of thumb is that they are both connected to eachother, as are the two I mentioned previously. Draw a straight line from the 'air shaft-like' one furthest from the train tracks, and you end up meeting with one of the square structures of the presumed other connected tunnels (near to the road leading away from the scout hut).

Now for those naysayers who will likely shun this post, I have pictures of the sites to back up my said findings. Tbh I have no idea what these tunnels are/were used for, but I do know that for a fact the tunnels are down there. If someone can help with finding out their original function, that would be most helpful.

I shall post more here as I do more research.

Also, I want to say that I got my research WITHOUT doing anything illegal, I didn't trespass nor did I break into these tunnels. If anyone else is willing to also do some research on them in the same way, I'd advise they do so without breaking any laws.

IMG_20181009_104450.jpg

IMG_20181009_100312.jpg

IMG_20181017_125700.jpg

IMG_20181017_125629.jpg

Did you have a look underneath those concrete slabs? They look like they could be pried up with a crowbar or spade.

Eddiek

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The photos of the two concrete slabs with holes in them remind me of inspection covers, possibly there might be cables or something else running underneath ?

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
I wouldn't waste anymore time on this. I work in East Goscote, and I've been talking to locals who have lived there since the 70's. The tunnels used to be accessible, and the local kids used to fuck around in there in the late 70's and early 80's. After a couple of incidents where fires were lit and smoke came out of all the shafts, the tunnels got sealed with concrete. There was some info on the tunnels in a local school library, but that was been 'misplaced' in the 80's.
The mound that has been mentioned in this thread was one of the rail entrances, and was opened in 1977 for the Queen's silver jubilee. The mound has since sunk down slightly, which suggests that that part of the network has collapsed. Apparently, the slide in the park is where the trains went in and out.

westhebrown

28DL Member
28DL Member
This thread died a few months ago I think so I guess interest has gone with it! It was exciting for a little while at least!

TheBridals

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi all, I've just read the thread and its great to see that the tunnels are a great interest to so many people. I've lived in the village for 27 years and have heard the rumours of this network of tunnels that people have claimed to have had excess to.

Are people still looking for the entrances or has the interest gone?

roget

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Moved in 1968 and had similar experiences. One big playground to explore as kids

Finally you have made clear that Nasher removed details from Wikipedia about EG and the army depot and tunnels. Given that this person has no evidence counter to the claim that the tunnels exist and doesn't own or manage wikipedia.. then that information should not have been removed, not least because it provides the necessary links to people who have in their own time and expense to investigate properly the factual details. I lived in Huntsmans Dale and played inside the Mound and explored small tunnels that were in the early 70's still exposed. My parents also attended the Parish Council meetings where Councilors reported entering the tunnels and verifying that the electricity was still in operation. The investigations are still in progress. At some point we are going to be calling upon people to make available the documents they hold (and can keep) to help piece the jigsaw of information that remains. Rather than pour doubt and sew confusion, either make yourself available to help or step back and use your time and energy in another positive direction.

Who has read this thread (Total: 381) View details