real time web analytics
Question - - East Goscote / Leicestershire / Tunnel System? | Underground Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - East Goscote / Leicestershire / Tunnel System?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Prometheus_onex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not that I’m aware of, I lifted a massive piece of metal off one of the access tunnels but it was just filled with rubble and rubbish. As for the other two access places I don’t know how we would get permission to use. They may be bricked up?

Clive Beasley

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi,
I was just doing some background reading about East Goscote in Leicestershire the other day and stumbled over a wiki and local pages which says there was an extensive tunnel system there during WW2 for ammunition storage and the similar ordnance. I just wonder if anyone knew any more about it... according to the article the 'plans' which showed the tunnel layout have been 'mislaid' deliberately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Goscote
http://eastgoscote.leicestershireparishcouncils.org/408593.html

Any info appreciated.
thanks
Bob.
Hi I have lived here for over 20yrs and have known about the tunnels for years I have never found an entrance concealed or otherwise. I did find out who built the tunnels and that was Holloway Brothers on behalf of Unilever on request they sent me a copy of the tunnels layout which I'm sorry to say I've lost it even showed the railway spur onto the site .However it was constructed it was very deep which made me think that there must have been lift shafts or long inclines to take finished ordnance out and into the surface bunkers. There are a number of organisations who want to open them up as a tourist attraction !!!! can you imagine what would happen to house values? best left alone methinks. Clive.

Clive Beasley

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
These so called entrances would have to be hermetically sealed to stop water ingress which would seriously affect the integrity of the tunnels so it's not a case of just opening a hatch. They are inspected periodically as you would expect I think they are entered via a building of some sort rather than climbing down an iron ladder. what do you think ?

roget

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I used to live in East Goscote as a child in the early 1970's, the village was still being constructed by Jelson, they stored their lorries inside the air raid shelters that guarded the entrance to the underground tunnels, known as the mounds. They are adjecent to where the railway sidings ran than collected the munitions that were made beneath the ground. The entrances still exist dotted around the village, now concealed following the departure of the builders, I know of two locations and yes they have been filled poorly by the village councillors to prevent children from gaining access, both main entrances to the Mound were also blocked but during the long hots summer of 1976 cracks emerged at the top and local kids had a few weeks to explore. The local council made a proper inspection during the 70's or 80's and found that the electric system was still working, corridors had machines of various types and signs still marked the walls of its former use.. so quite a historic site and worthy of a proper investigation. I am considering preparing a documentary, not least to be able to interview the last few people who may still be a live and remember the site. Long Furrow road marks the perimeter of the obove ground complex of buildings that existed.. and were once displayed on the wikipedia site before someone removed it... however, I have a printed copy. I can also confirm that during the 1970's .. as a student attending Wreake Valley Community College, Syston, and regular visitor to their library I found amongst brown boxes located on their shelves, maps of the underground tunnel complex for East Goscote and they are extensive. For those who wish for further proof above ground, visit the small river that runs from the Melton Road wes towards the railway line.. bordering the southern edge of the village.. the entire length has been concreted incontrast to the normal muddy riverbank.. in order to stop the river water entering the tunnel system! The offical reference to the munitions depots are: ROF Queniborough, (Filling Factory No. 10), Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filling_Factories_in_the_United_Kingdom

I've uploaded to photos.. 1. outline map of the existing visit East Goscote and 2. Aereal photo of the ordance site in the day.

For more info.. drop me here.. and happy hunting. roget

Attachments

• East Goscote Street Plan.jpg
    East Goscote Street Plan.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 58
  • East Goscote Munition Site circa 1944.jpg
    East Goscote Munition Site circa 1944.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 58

Clive Beasley

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello i've lived on goscote for over 20yrs and known about the site since day one. Your idea of a documentary would be excellent and it would give people like me with an interest in military history a better insight into what lies beneath us. I have a map of the surface layout which I got from the the constructors of the site Holloway Brothers and would appreciate it if you could share your maps and photos with me and as a 72 yr old they will remain with me.I would like think that a visit to the complex will happen before the inevitable! Regards Clive.

Clive Beasley

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I used to live in East Goscote as a child in the early 1970's, the village was still being constructed by Jelson, they stored their lorries inside the air raid shelters that guarded the entrance to the underground tunnels, known as the mounds. They are adjecent to where the railway sidings ran than collected the munitions that were made beneath the ground. The entrances still exist dotted around the village, now concealed following the departure of the builders, I know of two locations and yes they have been filled poorly by the village councillors to prevent children from gaining access, both main entrances to the Mound were also blocked but during the long hots summer of 1976 cracks emerged at the top and local kids had a few weeks to explore. The local council made a proper inspection during the 70's or 80's and found that the electric system was still working, corridors had machines of various types and signs still marked the walls of its former use.. so quite a historic site and worthy of a proper investigation. I am considering preparing a documentary, not least to be able to interview the last few people who may still be a live and remember the site. Long Furrow road marks the perimeter of the obove ground complex of buildings that existed.. and were once displayed on the wikipedia site before someone removed it... however, I have a printed copy. I can also confirm that during the 1970's .. as a student attending Wreake Valley Community College, Syston, and regular visitor to their library I found amongst brown boxes located on their shelves, maps of the underground tunnel complex for East Goscote and they are extensive. For those who wish for further proof above ground, visit the small river that runs from the Melton Road wes towards the railway line.. bordering the southern edge of the village.. the entire length has been concreted incontrast to the normal muddy riverbank.. in order to stop the river water entering the tunnel system! The offical reference to the munitions depots are: ROF Queniborough, (Filling Factory No. 10), Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filling_Factories_in_the_United_Kingdom

I've uploaded to photos.. 1. outline map of the existing visit East Goscote and 2. Aereal photo of the ordance site in the day.

For more info.. drop me here.. and happy hunting. roget
Hi got your email but can't find your latest post or the photos ? as i'm new to this what am I missing

roget

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello i've lived on goscote for over 20yrs and known about the site since day one. Your idea of a documentary would be excellent and it would give people like me with an interest in military history a better insight into what lies beneath us. I have a map of the surface layout which I got from the the constructors of the site Holloway Brothers and would appreciate it if you could share your maps and photos with me and as a 72 yr old they will remain with me.I would like think that a visit to the complex will happen before the inevitable! Regards Clive.

Hi, I will try and upload the two images again here.

Attachments

• East Goscote Munition Site circa 1944 small.jpg
    East Goscote Munition Site circa 1944 small.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 32
  • East Goscote Street Plan small.jpg
    East Goscote Street Plan small.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 32

roget

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think the image files sizes were to big in the original post .. I have uploaded the files again here .. and then posted this messgae.. hope you receive them.

Attachments

201.1 KB · Views: 26
  • East Goscote Street Plan small.jpg
    East Goscote Street Plan small.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 27

roget

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hmm, very strange as I chekced the file and image sizes and everything uploaded but it said that they had to be checked by the Dungeon Master... who ever manages this forum.. but they were successfully uploaded.

What is Imgur how where do I find it please? I'm not a newbie but didnt find a link to your request..

I wonder if I can insert the image here.. let's see..

Attachments

201.1 KB · Views: 27

Who has read this thread (Total: 381) View details