real time web analytics
Report - - East to West: The Lizzy Line - London, 2013-2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - East to West: The Lizzy Line - London, 2013-2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

OliverT

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
IMG_3333-1s.jpg

I had been infatuated with the idea of exploring a brand new tube line since the TBM’s launched 5-6 years ago; I thought to myself it’s one thing exploring the tube network that already exists, but it’s another exploring a whole line that doesn’t quite exist yet and where you can see monitor its progression from TBM to fully a fledged running underground line while still facing a lot of the challenges one faces exploring the rest of the tube’s infrastructure.

One of the main obstacles when exploring the London Underground are the orange clad trackies that pop up most nights and will either thwart you before you’ve even started, or force you to run/climb in a way you never thought you were able to. The difference between an active line and one that’s under construction is that where you may have half a dozen-or-so workers come out on random nights to carry out maintenance, these can usually be avoided by simply trying again another night. With a line that’s under construction, they’re obviously still building it. So there’s a lot of workers – and they’re there 24/7.

This made exploring it awkward, to say the least – I and many others in London would manage to probe a little into the line from time to time and we’d come away with photos of concrete tunnels in varying stages of completion – but without ever managing to reach any of the really interesting sections.

Bank holidays didn’t make an awful lot of difference either – not even Christmas it seemed. In fact, one Boxing Day night Space Invader, LonDan and I found ourselves stuck in a staircase down to a station with workers on the stairs below, workers on the stairs above and workers in the adjacent corridor… (we got away).

After this it was hard to keep up any motivation to carry on working on it - exploring any of it became a perpetual cycle of going out, spotting workers and taking the night bus home. I began to doubt that anyone would ever manage to walk the full length of Crossrail – bits and pieces would get done, sure, and some managed to get further than others. But the ever-present workers kept us mostly at bay.

Cracking Crossrail became a team effort, with Adders, Monkey, Anorak and I working to tick the whole of the line off.

Plumstead to Canary Wharf:

First up, I don’t actually have any photos of the Plumstead portals; we didn’t use them for access, we used them to exit after walking up from Woolwich. After seeing Crossrail’s unique track laying machines sleeping in the tunnels we had hopes their worker train that’s already using the laid track may be sitting in the tunnels somewhere. Alas it wasn’t but anyway – the portals are all identical really and I’ve included photos further down the report from a different set of portals.

In the tunnels prior to Woolwich station – track and track laying machines:

IMG_0944-1s.jpg

Into Woolwich station:

IMG_0961-1s.jpg

IMG_1076-1s.jpg

From here the tunnel winds its way under the Thames before resurfacing in North Woolwich, where it then follows the surface route of the long abandoned eastern terminus of the North London Line, through the refurbished Connaught Tunnel and into Custom House station. Being a surface station I never bothered to explore it, simply because it’d be boring. I also struggled to find time and motivation for the Connaught Tunnel – I saw it many years ago while it was still abandoned.

Thames Tunnel and the North Woolwich portals:

IMG_9432-1s.jpg

IMG_9466-1s.jpg

From here Lizzy goes back underground, passing the two massive shafts at Limmo Peninsula (FYI one is to be filled in – the other is to be retained as a permanent intervention point) before then arriving at the next station on the line – Canary Wharf.

In the tunnels near to Limmo Peninsula:

IMG_3961-1s.jpg

And into Canary Wharf:

IMG_9711-1s.jpg

IMG_9723-1s.jpg

IMG_9737-1s.jpg

I tried to get in here on a couple of occasions but was always thwarted by workers. Remember the aforementioned story where we became trapped on all sides on a staircase by workers? That was here – we were trying to get to the station to then walk up to the Stepney junction. It didn’t work out obviously, but we got away and I slept in my own bed that night which matters more.

Owing to the shopping centre that sits on the floors above the station, the developers were pretty keen to get everything finished quickly; so Canary Wharf was the first and only (at the time) completed station. The only missing bits were the platform edge doors, the trains, people and a million CCTV cameras. When Monkey and I finally got in, we had the platforms to ourselves, although workers were busy in the tunnels and later on in the night when we climbed through the heavy-duty dust sheets into the tunnels we had a near miss when a truck appeared over a crest at the opposite end of the platform driving straight towards us!

Pudding Mill Lane to Stepney Green:

PML is where the Essex branch of the Lizzy Line dives underground for its route through central London. There are no stations on this stretch – just two permanent intervention points (Eleanor Street and Mile End) and at the end the Stepney caverns where the Essex branch and the Plumstead branch of the line converge into a single line before carrying on to Whitechapel.

Stepney was what brought us here – Monkey and I worked on this one together and came up with all sorts of plans to do it, even taking bicycles down on Christmas Day if all else failed.

It’s roughly a 2.8km walk from PML to Stepney, that doesn’t sound like a lot, but I’m not gonna lie the tunnels on this stretch are boring – just plain featureless concrete that repeats itself with every bend. I think Monkey and I walked this 2 or 3 times before actually getting into Stepney; one of those occasions we got all the way to Stepney only to find ourselves no more than 5 metres away from workers and 2.8km from the nearest camera-free escape route. We ran away pretty quick and quietly and took the long walk back out again.

In the end, we got in on a rare night where there were no workers at all and so had free roam of both of the massive caverns and the rectangular shaft that engulfs the site above.

En route to Stepney and the Eleanor Street intervention point:

IMG_9754-1s.jpg

IMG_9770-1s.jpg

IMG_0118-1s.jpg

Stepney Caverns:

IMG_0125-1s.jpg

IMG_0168-1s.jpg

IMG_0202-1s.jpg

IMG_0146-1s.jpg

Stepney to Farringdon station:

This stretch was one of the last to be bored, with the TBM’s responsible terminating at Farringdon station in May last year. As such – the stations and tunnels here (Whitechapel and Liverpool Street) felt very primitive compared to the rest of the line where in some places there’s already track. Whitechapel seemed to have pretty much been left in the same state it was in when the TBM’s passed through; muddy and partially flooded, there was even remnants of the concrete boring head at the ends of the platforms – still embellished with scars from the TBM’s violent break-through.

Adders, Monkey, Anorak and I took the long walk to Whitechapel on one regular work night evening. This meant our stay in Whitechapel station was limited; it was the point where workers passed a door which we were stood on the other side of that we decided it was time to pack up and scarper, bearing in mind our only viable exit was 1.6km away and had the workers seen us heading in that direction they’d have known exactly where we were going.

Whitechapel station:

IMG_9956-1s.jpg

IMG_9966-1s.jpg

IMG_9950-1s.jpg

^the sign spoke the troof

At the western end of Whitechapel sits a future crossover in the running tunnels. Right now it’s semi-flooded and blocked off, but it’ll look good once they’ve laid the track here.

IMG_9890-1-3s.jpg

Part 2 coming up...​

OliverT

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Whitechapel to Liverpool Street:

IMG_9845-1s.jpg

Next up is Liverpool Street – I first visited here back in early 2013 with AndyB and LonDan. We got in through the Finsbury Circus shaft, which, at the time, seemed so promising. 24/7 there’d be swarms of workers and a constant flow of crumbling clay making its way to the surface on huge conveyers to be transported off site by massive trucks. All this combined led us to think there’d be a whole maze of spraycrete tunnels down there despite the fact the TBM’s hadn’t passed through yet. Unfortunately, on getting to the bottom of the shaft on a quiet night we found not much more than some short passenger tunnels and a few bits of equipment.

It was strange going back there to walk those same tunnels, except that now they actually lead somewhere and two cavernous platform spaces have appeared to the south and north of the shaft.

Finsbury Circus in 2013 and 2015 – not much had changed except the addition of ventilation tubes:

IMG_4313-1s.jpg

IMG_0836-1s.jpg

I came here once with Monkey, Anorak and Adders, but workers present at the Finsbury end of the platform space kept us confined to the eastern end of the station. I went back again just with Adders later on and we had the whole place to ourselves.

The station itself wasn’t overly exciting – the future platform spaces still sitting empty. However, what made the place was the amount of machinery parked up; a whole myriad of different trucks with different purposes and a beautifully evil looking uphill excavator.

IMG_0865-1s.jpg

IMG_0831-1s.jpg

IMG_0009-1-3s.jpg

IMG_0838-1s.jpg

IMG_0822-1s.jpg

Just west of Liverpool Street station sits the Moorgate shaft; it’s the deepest in the whole system and will eventually provide another entrance to LS station:

IMG_0878-1s.jpg

IMG_0801-1s.jpg

IMG_0792-1s.jpg

Onwards to Farringdon station:

IMG_0771-1s.jpg

IMG_0763-1s.jpg

Farringdon station was immense; steep escalator shafts led down to orange clad changeover tunnels between a largely still platform-free platform space. There was some interesting machinery down here, too, including some sort of pressure concrete mould sitting in a passenger tunnel.

Visited with Adders.

IMG_0599-1s.jpg

IMG_0553-1s.jpg

IMG_0640-1s.jpg

IMG_0616-1s.jpg

Above Farringdon station sits a little oddity; although not part of the Lizzy Line, the City Widened Lines at Smithfield’s are currently part of the Crossrail works who’ll eventually hand the disused tunnels over to LU for them to convert it into sidings. They emerge in a heavily camera’d yard adjacent to the live Farringdon station, but for now it’s possible to reach the tunnel via the construction site.

IMG_0891-1s.jpg

IMG_0910-1s.jpg

Part 3 coming up...​

OliverT

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Farringdon to Paddington:

The second half of the line that sees Lizzy stop at the shopping and theatre districts of Tottenham Court Road and Bond Street before continuing to the final underground station (bar Heathrow) at Paddington. I walked this stretch with Adders and Anorak.

Fisher Street shaft and its future crossover between the tracks at Holborn, midway between Farringdon and TCR stations:

IMG_0295-1s.jpg

IMG_0329-1s.jpg

Tottenham Court Road station:

IMG_0393-1s.jpg

IMG_0377-1s.jpg

IMG_0414-1s.jpg

Hoarding had been erected along the entire length of the platform, bar one short open section at the western end which was guarded by two brand new IR cameras. I’m not sure why they were there – but I didn’t want to find out if they were because of us. I took one photo of the opening hidden behind more hoardings and carried on to Bond Street station…

IMG_0445-1s.jpg

IMG_0458-1-3s.jpg

IMG_0498-1s.jpg

IMG_0501-1s.jpg

IMG_0505-1s.jpg

I’m struggling to find anything worthwhile to write about Bond Street; it’s alright, it ticks the right boxes. We continued the long walk up the now unlit running tunnels towards Paddington.

Paddington station: boxey and empty but with an interesting ceiling. I’d like to say first of all hats off to Adders, he got here first and he was the first out of us all to tick off all the stations. I was out with Monkey elsewhere and he sent around a selfie of himself stood in the concrete box :D

Getting here was elating; it was the last station and feature of the line for me. I’d tried to get to Paddington previously with Adders and Monkey via the Royal Oak portals, which saw us get trapped in the tunnels with workers on both sides of us. That’s actually one of my worst exploring fears – becoming trapped by workers on deep level tracks with nowhere to go. It’s messy as fuck. To cut a long story short the workers on the portal end cleared off for long enough for us to make a hasty escape; although we still had to run up the mainline tracks which were equally littered with workers. They were distracted, we were silent.

IMG_0506-1s.jpg

IMG_0536-1s.jpg

IMG_0545-1s.jpg

We exited via the Royal Oak portals; the very same portals we had become trapped a few weeks prior. The tunnels were lit up in this section and we tentatively watched for workers as we walked the gradual incline towards our escape.

A close encounter with security bumbling down the newly laid track outside the portal saw the three of us dive behind a tiny wall for cover, despite security being so close to us, he seemed too busy minding that he didn’t trip up on the steel to actually look for anyone in the vicinity.

Peace.​

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Really fascinating read and a worthy journey form end to end mate..

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Speechless!!! What a brilliant report, really enjoyed reading that, amazing work lads !!!! :)

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Good effort that lot, it's provided some interesting evenings for quite a few over the past few years :thumb

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
I can't help but grin ear to ear each time I hear someone mention Crossrail or I pass by one of the work sites. It was a humongous amount of fun, but has zapped the majority of my enthusiasm towards exploring London now, knowing that nothing will likely compete with the experience this project gave me.

Great write up and images man!

Gabe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Those pictures are fucking mint mate.

Can't believe I didn't actually do any of this with you, good to see another end to end of this.

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Fuckin effort. Well had. Unrivalled dedication to London as per usual from you lads.

I love those black and white photos the mostest. Belters.