real time web analytics
Report - - Eastry Chalk Mine - Kent - April 2012 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Eastry Chalk Mine - Kent - April 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

urbanginger

Ginger til I die
28DL Full Member
Right ive been after this beauty of a chalk mine for quite a while but with it being permission only it was a case of A catching the owners in and B catching them in the right mood. On previous visits ive not been successful but after visiting my old dear who lives nearby i thought id chance it again and have a knock. Jackpot, come right in they said which was great apart from not expecting it having no camera and the misses and kids in the car. Quick arrangements were made and an hour and a half later i was back armed with my gear and the Urbanbudgie.

Some history on the place which i heard again as we went around as the owner almost insists on a guided tour.( History stolen from KURG)

A lime burning business was carried on by the Foord family at Eastry from 1811 -1914 and a chalk mine was developed on several levels. The workings resemble a three-dimensional maze and demonstrate the effect of mining without any forward planning. Access was originally by shaft but an inclined tunnel was later driven to the surface to emerge by the limekiln. The mine was abandoned following pressure from villagers who were worried that their houses were being undermined. It was subsequently turned into a folly and village festivities were held underground. It was the practice during these events to nail patterns of branches to the wall and the old nails still remain to puzzle visitors.

During the Second World War the long gallery was used by the Home Guard as a rifle range and the workings were later opened to the public as a show cave for a short time. It was during this period that two elaborate paintings resembling stained glass windows were placed on the walls. The mine is now on private property and access is strictly controlled but the owners have preserved the workings.

Now on with some pics

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine100.jpg

looking down the entrance hatch

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine096.jpg

steep steps going down one way

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine095.jpg

looking back towards the light

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine093.jpg

bottom of the first flight of steps

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine047.jpg

the limekiln

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine051.jpg

one of the main tunnels

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine053.jpg

one of the paintings

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine054.jpg

and another

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine061.jpg

an archway half way along the main tunnel. u can see holes in the wall were the Homeguard werent that great a shoot.

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine062.jpg

big chunk of wall obviously shoot out

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine072.jpg

the gallery

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine066.jpg

some artwork from the gallery lol

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine055.jpg

some old grafitti

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine074.jpg

someones name burnt into the ceiling

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine076.jpg

the wall at the end of the longest tunnel peppered with bullet holes from the Homeguard

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine079.jpg

remaining 22 tip found on the floor

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine077.jpg

i made the budgie run along the tunnel lol

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine084.jpg

callumsbirthdayandeastrychalkmine086.jpg

a rather crude carving of a face in the chalk.

Thanks for looking. Some of the pics arent great but i only had an hour or so in there as the owner wanted to get out to put his kids to bed lol.

Peter E

28DL Member
28DL Member
I visited Eastry Caves as a kid in the mid 1950s, when they were open to the public. At the end of one of the tunnels, the operators had rigged up a 'ghost'. This was electrically illuminated and switched on at an appropriate moment. If my memory is correct, the 'ghost' appeared to move closer by increasing the illuminated area. It was fun but not very scary, even to a six or seven year old.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
is this the same mine that was featured in the latest episode of Secret Britain on BBC1?

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
is this the same mine that was featured in the latest episode of Secret Britain on BBC1?

the one the woman has under her house near a cricket pitch ? if not i may have missed an episode

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
OK thanks, pic #5 looks just like the mound they climb over in the show. To me at least... lol