real time web analytics
Report - - Eckersley Mills, Wigan, Mar 19 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Eckersley Mills, Wigan, Mar 19

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member

Swan Meadow Mill was built by James Eckersley in 1827 and became Old Mill when a new, larger mill was built in 1838. It was demolished in 1960 followed in 1963 by the larger mill. James Eckersley and Sons had three four-storey mills by 1880.Musgraves of Bolton supplied a tandem compound steam engine in 1884.Eckersleys ran six spinning mills and two weaving sheds in the town, Swan Meadow Old, Swan Meadow large, Water Heyes, and Western Mills No.1, No.2 and No.3. The mills housed a total of 236,572 ring spindles, 14,554 mule spindles and 1687 loom.

It's a massive complex and there just seems to be mills everywhere here. Deffo loads more to see and more look disused. We just ran out of time to check the rest out.

Visited with @Ferret

The damp derpier mills most recent use looks to have been a motorbike\scooter garage. The larger mill was used as a multi level go kart track and then more recently airsoft and paintball.

Not a bad mill to be fair. Had a good laugh messing about on a kids go kart. The engine house is a B E A UT.

Eckersley-Mar-19-42.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-40.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-39.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-38.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-37.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-36.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-18.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-17.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-15.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-14.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-13.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-11.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-9.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-7.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-6.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-5.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-4.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-2.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-35.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-34.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-33.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-22.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-21.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-19.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-30.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-28.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-27.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-25.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-26.jpg

Eckersley-Mar-19-23.jpg

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Some lovely tiling in there. Another great mill report.

Cheers, the tiling is awesome aint it.

Ohhh this would have been lovely in its day with all the glazed bricks and winderful tiles.

I know wouldnt it just. Waiting for @dweeb to sort his photos out from the other engine house here. So i can see what that one was like.

That's beautiful. Don't like the look of the excavator parked inside the fenceline though :eek:

I think its for the damp derpy one in my pics. Not the main one with the engine house.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
In the planning years ago it said that both engine houses were for demolition... which is a shame but I suppose it's a challenging space to find a use for.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice work mate pity the mills full of crap. The engine house is a winner.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
In the planning years ago it said that both engine houses were for demolition... which is a shame but I suppose it's a challenging space to find a use for.

Yeah as you said it's a challenging space to use. Especially with it's location. Not like it's in a swanky town centre where it can be converted into some trendy offices or something.

They probably will end up being demo'd at some point.

Nice work mate pity the mills full of crap. The engine house is a winner.

It really is isnt it. The mills full of crap but I smashed my leg up and had a laugh so it's all good eh lol

Tom Rudd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Is this place easily accessible? From what i have seen there a few different companies that store things hear, and ive seen plenty of vehicles surrounding the building

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Is this place easily accessible? From what i have seen there a few different companies that store things hear, and ive seen plenty of vehicles surrounding the building

Pretty straight forward when I went. Theres a few businesses on the grounds so there will always be cars about. Just dont be obvious about it.

Mr Sam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thats an ace looking building. I don't like all the tyres though, they are just too handy for a developer to torch the place!

bobdobelina

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Had a nosey around this today. Lots of people about at the roller rink. Lots of CCTV as well, we’re they there when you went?

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Had a nosey around this today. Lots of people about at the roller rink. Lots of CCTV as well, we’re they there when you went?
Roller rink has been their years. CCTV maybe new ? Engine house is best part round back.

Who has read this thread (Total: 254) View details