real time web analytics
Question - - Editing Photos | Photography and Video Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Editing Photos

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
I've been wondering about photo editing and how many explorers edit their photos before posting. Were new to the whole photography thing, most of our previous explores over the years have been mostly for exploring's sake and we only really took phone camera pics. Since getting a camera and starting to post on here over the past few months we've got quite into the photography side and while we try and achieve decent lighting and composition we don't edit our shots yet. What are people's thoughts on editing, how important is it and does anybody have any recommendations on software/technique etc.

Last edited:

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
I think a lot of the 'pros' edit which questions how pro are they really lol j/k
Seriously though, I think some make dark pictures lighter and a lot cut or crop but we don't like things like hdr or other image processing, there's a thread about it stickied.
Personally I wish people would edit out fisheye as I hate it.
I try to get the best shot when I take them and post as a raw image if it turns out OK otherwise I don't post it I just just my phone.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
I think a lot of the 'pros' edit which questions how pro are they really lol j/k
Seriously though, I think some make dark pictures lighter and a lot cut or crop but we don't like things like hdr or other image processing, there's a thread about it stickied.
Personally I wish people would edit out fisheye as I hate it.
I try to get the best shot when I take them and post as a raw image if it turns out OK otherwise I don't post it I just just my phone.
I think that's where I can see some advantage, in changing the lighting. sometimes when you get back and review your shots you realise some just didn't turn out how you'd hoped, mainly down to lighting. It would be good to be able to recover them.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
All my photos are taken on phone none are edited at all and I am happy enough with them and couldn’t care less for likes I personally believe it’s just about having a good time and enjoying it you have to make the decision are you doing it to enjoy or make other people happy ? I do it for the fun and to share what I see then it’s down to others to choose

two random photos taken in 100% darkness just with 1 torch not edited at all the first is a massive chamber

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
There was actually a recent discussion on changing lighting on dark pictures, im not sure if it was on chatbox or a thread.

Down and beyond

Regular User
There was actually a recent discussion on changing lighting on dark pictures, im not sure if it was on chatbox or a thread.
My personal question is should you even bother ? If your underground shouldn’t it look dark I like this picture how it is personally anyone else got any views on it ?

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
I think a darker picture certainly sets a better mood if it was taken in the dark however a well lit underground picture can show up beautiful details the person actually there may not even see at the time.
It is down to what you say, who is the picture for.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
All my photos are taken on phone none are edited at all and I am happy enough with them and couldn’t care less for likes I personally believe it’s just about having a good time and enjoying it you have to make the decision are you doing it to enjoy or make other people happy ? I do it for the fun and to share what I see then it’s down to others to choose

two random photos taken in 100% darkness just with 1 torch not edited at all the first is a massive chamber

Those shots look great. It's not about likes, we enjoy the exploring element for the most part, have done it for that reason for years. Just started to get fascinated by the photographic element as well, it's adds another dimension to the whole thing. Was just curious how much editing goes on and if it's something that's worth considering, as an amateur photographer who just wants to create better pics.

Down and beyond

Regular User
Those shots look great. It's not about likes, we enjoy the exploring element for the most part, have done it for that reason for years. Just started to get fascinated by the photographic element as well, it's adds another dimension to the whole thing. Was just curious how much editing goes on and if it's something that's worth considering, as an amateur photographer who just wants to create better pics.
Well would help if you state what your planning on taking a photo or is it some old ladies abandoned underwear draw ? A house ? A mine ? Baby ducks on a pond ? Or a abandoned fire truck ? Even a general subject would help get you the appropriate person as via mines I ent no help at all. Really lol I am about as useful as a chocolate tea pot with day light stuff :thumb

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Its kind of about likes for me, I've little interest in having thousands of photos of derp, ill never look at them again on a personal level but I take pictures on an explore to share with everyone here at some point. Almost to show off I guess. Some of my best explores are where I've said stuff it, im not taking pics here, and without the myther of trying to get the best pictures all the time I've seen more and enjoyed myself more.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It is all about personal opinion, D & B underground shots r really good for phone for example but I just looked at this thread this morn &my first thought was this could of been an excellent report with a bit of editing.

I do edit "most" of mine mainly as I enjoy doing it (Im by no means a pro) I generally only straighten or crop lighten & dark & fiddle with clarity etc sometimes to give things an aged look.

You certainly dont need to edit to post but as D & B is proving using a phone in the most difficult conditions that the pics dont need to be utter crap like some we get on here

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
I think a darker picture certainly sets a better mood if it was taken in the dark however a well lit underground picture can show up beautiful details the person actually there may not even see at the time.
It is down to what you say, who is the picture for.
Getting decent pictures in low light is one of the things I find most difficult. Think we need a better torch/lightsource. Much better with decent natural light. Some of the artificial lighting on the underground reports looks awesome.

Down and beyond

Regular User
It is all about personal opinion, D & B underground shots r really good for phone for example but I just looked at this thread this morn &my first thought was this could of been an excellent report with a bit of editing.

I do edit "most" of mine mainly as I enjoy doing it (Im by no means a pro) I generally only straighten or crop lighten & dark & fiddle with clarity etc sometimes to give things an aged look.

You certainly dont need to edit to post but as D & B is proving using a phone in the most difficult conditions that the pics dont need to be utter crap like some we get on here
As we spoke yesterday about planning are next trip I think it’s important also to no where your going we are of to a mine I have been before and I said to bikinglyn we will take your camera in 6 of the 9 levels as it will be destroyed in the other 3 so preparation also helps in difficult environments and knowledge , lots of mine /cave exploring happens without single photos , we call them reky trips having a proper camera slows you down so much very little can ever be done , this is when we do a return visit just for proper photos I don’t tend to go on these ent my thing but many people love it .

proper cameras and lights edited give you stuff like this

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
I usually play with the sliders in the software that comes with my camera, things like exposure,brightness,sharpess and white balance I will have a play with. Most of my photos taken are fairly blurry or I cock up the light painting so need a small degree of fixing.

I think my 4k monitor makes it look worse than they are tbh