real time web analytics
Report - - Electricity works cooling tunnels, Stockport, April 12 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Electricity works cooling tunnels, Stockport, April 12

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
Evening all

Myself and a couple of other chaps have been lurking on 28 for many months, I've been reluctant to post anything due to not having any decent tackle to take photos, point + click and the eyefone I'm afraid, due to change that though. Dip the toe in the water and all that.....in the pit we go!

Little write-up

Stockports electricity works was situated on the bank of the river Goyt approximately 300Mtrs upstream of the meeting point of the river Tame, now a car park at the end of Newbridge Lane.
Dating-wise, clearly built prior to the 1930's as there's a lot of photographic evidence of upgrades and alterations to meet the need for demand around that time. Notably, there was substantial upgrades to the cooling systems in the late 1950s. It was noted that the defunct corn-mill tunnels of times gone, were adapted to provide a cooling water feed to the plant. I'm unsure when production finally stopped, but in May 1981.......KABOOOOOM.......the cooling towers came down. 1983, final structure knocked down. Old chappies lined for photograph dated 1904, so possibly operational then?

Some (rather low quality) pictures

Breath in! Rusty flow control gate
SAM_0944_zps99dc0671.jpg

Tunnel snot
SAM_0950_zps814061b7.jpg

Flow control to the ash/coke cooling pens?
SAM_0956_zps4ef61531.jpg

Cooling pens?
SAM_0960_zps89251633.jpg

General scale of the tunnels girth:laugh
SAM_0946_zps3a98d865.jpg

Sluice gate concreted off, adjoining the river I assume.
SAM_0952_zpscd4db2ca.jpg

SAM_0957_zps8e8f5677.jpg

Got a few more, but not of quality. Re-visit with a bit more kit booked.

Awaiting a slating/slagging/whatever.....maybe a thumbs-up, you never know

Cheers

SOTW

Last edited:

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
Shoe-horn this one in

Then
Sluice_zps07686e96.jpg

Now, with a bit of concrete for good luck
SAM_0944_zps99dc0671.jpg