real time web analytics
Report - - Elizebeth Mill + Friedland Building (Reddish, Stockport) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Elizebeth Mill + Friedland Building (Reddish, Stockport)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jj01404

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Unfortunatly after the visit to my home town months later this article came out http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ckport-spate-fires-vandalism-derelict-7265059

But heres a report on the place before it gets knocked down and refurbed.

Elisabeth Mill is positioned towards the north-eastern corner of the site, and is a four storey red brick mill dating from 1874 that is locally listed. The Friedland building is of a similar scale but is a concrete structure dating from the 1980s and located towards the south-western corner of the site. There is also a temporary single storey contractor/ marketing building towards the western boundary of the site.
To the north is Victoria Mill which forms part of the same mill complex as Elisabeth Mill, and this mill building has already been converted to flats.

Elisabeth Mill was constructed by Sir William Henry Houldsworth who built most of Reddish. Designed by the renewed architects A.H Stott & Sons of Oldham the uniquely arranged mill is constructed in an L-shaped layout, not too the conventional ‘double mill’ concept. Cotton spinning remained on the its until 1858, when the mills were closed, since then the mill has had several industrial uses until operations cease in 2003.

Friedland Mill, is a vast concrete structure as mentioned and was owned by V. & E. Friedland who became the world's largest manufacture of doorbells. Unfortunatly i cant see to find out much about Friedland Mill, i have heard of people it use to be an electrical mill however not much exists in as far as history goes.
DSC_0014.jpg
DSC_0021.jpg
DSC_0023.jpg
DSC_0041_B&W.jpg
DSC_0041_COLOUR.jpg
DSC_0047.jpg
DSC_0050.jpg
DSC_0054.jpg
DSC_0320.jpg
DSC_0322.jpg
DSC_0341.jpg
DSC_0343.jpg
DSC_0344.jpg
DSC_0365.jpg
DSC_0381.jpg
DSC_0028_B&W_CROSS_1.jpg
DSC_0028_B&W_MEDIUM_1.jpg
DSC_0045_1.jpg
DSC_0049_COLOUR_1.jpg
DSC_0335_1.jpg

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good effort mate, shame these two have been so smashed up, i lived in victoria milll for a while. i hope they manage to do something with Elizabeth mill soon. I take it you didn't get into the tower then ? if your a local try reddish baths or houldsworth mill engine house, all good stuff.

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
Picture 7 got me there, I'm thinking, where's the fucking river? Ahhh, it's the roof. I really shouldn't rush through these things. Well in mate. :thumb

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Tbh the first 2 or 3 photos I just thought another derp, however it may just be a derp but looks far more interesting from photo 4 onwards. Cheers for posting :thumb

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
Nice one :thumb Pleased that you posted a report up after saying you'd go and do something. Surprising, but the number of new members giving it large saying they're going to do this and that, then don't offer anything up.

Nice collection of pictures. The rooftop picture fooled me also!

jj01404

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeh me and the gf went because it was a hobby I always wanted to take up but the roof had at least shin deep amount of water guys, I couldn't even step off the platform

FreshFingers

Regular User
Well, you missed out on an opportunity to get yourself fully accepted around here. Next time, we require naked paddling shots from the rooftop pool :D

Get yourself over to the Page 3 Shots section and see how it's done :eek:

FreshFingers

Regular User
Mankini?? There'll be handbags at dawn if you do, we already have a member who likes to slip into one of those. But since you've offered...

Rachel1

28DL Member
28DL Member
I worked for Friedlands 1972-4 in the factory on Houldsworth Street and can give some information about it if you are interested.

Rachel1

28DL Member
28DL Member
I was responding to the original report from Jj01404 in June 2015. Good that Elizabeth is in use again.
Both factories belonged to Friedland Plastics when I worked there. One housed the assembly lines for their door chimes and was where I worked, the 954 Hi-Lo line. The other was where Friedlands' dolls were made. Their dolls were considered quite innovative because they made dolls of both sexes and of colour, more life-like than other dolls of the time. Even the photos of the mills in such a derelict state brought back a lot of memories. :)

Bradley Harris

28DL Member
28DL Member
I was responding to the original report from Jj01404 in June 2015. Good that Elizabeth is in use again.
Both factories belonged to Friedland Plastics when I worked there. One housed the assembly lines for their door chimes and was where I worked, the 954 Hi-Lo line. The other was where Friedlands' dolls were made. Their dolls were considered quite innovative because they made dolls of both sexes and of colour, more life-like than other dolls of the time. Even the photos of the mills in such a derelict state brought back a lot of memories. :)
Rachel1 - Hi Rachel, I work for the BBC and I'm currently making a radio report about the Friedland door bell factory in Stockport. Would you mind sending me an email, my email is [email protected]

I would love to hear more about your story, particularly when you were working there. Many thanks!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Surprised the outside is so plain being designed in 1874. But hey, what a shame. Love the view the river. Shame its gone. :thumb