real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Ellis Island Immigration Hospital, New York Harbour, Oct 2019 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Ellis Island Immigration Hospital, New York Harbour, Oct 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have seen this site reported before but it was my visit here that really triggered my enthusiasm into exploring old and abandoned buildings in more detail so I wanted to include some of the information and stories I heard whilst on the visit too.
A bit of history, more can be found on Wikipedia.
The Ellis Island Immigrant Hospital (also known as USPHS Hospital #43) was a United States Public Health Service hospital on Ellis Island in New York Harbor, which operated from 1902 to 1951.
The south side of Ellis Island, including the hospital, is managed by the non-profit Save Ellis Island Foundation and has been off-limits to the general public since its closing in 1954. Some more information on the foundation can be found here:
Constructed in phases, the facility encompassed both a general hospital and a separate pavilion-style contagious disease hospital. The hospital had two functions: first, treating immigrants who were ill upon arrival, and second, treating immigrants with conditions that were prohibited by immigration laws. These latter patients were stabilized and often sent back to their home countries. Between 1902 and 1951 the hospital treated over 275,000 patients; there were approximately 4,000 fatalities and 350 babies were born there.[6]
The Immigrant Hospital was run by the Marine Hospital Service, which was re-organized and expanded in 1902 and became the Public Health and Marine Hospital Service. The name was shortened in 1912 and became the United States Public Health Service (PHS). All of the doctors at Ellis Island were part of the Commissioned Corps of the United States Public Health Service. Nurses and all other medical personnel were employees of the PHS. The PHS doctors conducted the Line Inspection, the medical examination of arriving immigrants, and treated detained immigrants in the hospitals.
Efforts to restore the hospital buildings and other structures on the island are being made by the Save Ellis Island Foundation. The hospital complex has been open to the public on a limited basis for Hard Hat tours since 2014 provided by the Save Ellis Island Foundation, which is how I ended up visiting.
There are 3 parts to the island, almost in a letter “E” shape with each branch of the “E” serving a purpose, one branch was the immigration processing centre and the other two branches were the immigration hospitals, one for contagious diseases and one for all other illnesses.
They had lots of interesting theories on illnesses and germs including the shape of the island was because they believed that germs couldn’t pass over more than 200 feet of water.
Other stories we heard included that none of the doors to the wards off the main corridor where directly opposite each other so that germs couldn’t get between wards and they also at one point built some of the wards with rounded corners as they believed that germs could live in corners.
While this part of the island was not generally used it was used by the US coastguard as a base where amongst other things they played basketball in an old hall in whilst awaiting callouts.
This part was extensively flooded by hurricane Sandy in 2012, watermarks where waist high in some parts.

corridor to hospital wing

area

although it was a guided tour, their were lots of opportunities to poke your head into the rooms that hadn’t been cleaned up for a quick picture.

the mortuary

The guide explained they are trying to leave the buildings as close to condition they are in whilst maintaining they remain safe.

There are some artists work that the charity have commissioned around the site including the mural under the kitchen extractor fan which I’ve flipped in the second picture to show it as one if the boats that the immigrants would have arrived in.

Statue of liberty

The next three pictures are from one of the doctors quarters. The doctors and nurses where extremely caring of their patients with very few patients either dying, remaining uncured or sent back to their original countries. They would become friendly with the patients and often play with the children when off shift.
When this part first opened these rooms where originally closed to the public but on one of the tours the guide was pestered over and over to see the rooms, she asked why and was given the response that the man had grown up on theses rooms as he was the doctors son. A picture of his dad was added to the fireplace.

I really enjoyed the visit and would thoroughly recommend it if you visit New York.