Web
Analytics
Report - - Elm Park Quarry, Corsham June 2010 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Elm Park Quarry, Corsham June 2010

vwdirtboy

Keeuunnntt!
28DL Full Member
#1
Deflowered this glorious evening by Toad & Myself.

Good old sneak into a live quarry.. just when you think they're all locked up too! Stinking of Diesel down there, but loads of plant and cutting equipment everywhere. Being extended in all directions with lots of stone being quarried. All in all a good nights mooch was had :D

A brief chronological breakdown of Elm Park.

1900 Elm Park was owned by the Thomas family.
1912 The start of quarrying, the first stones being used to build Gastard church.
1925 Quarry stops due to the hardness of the stone, manual method proves hard going. Horses and carts were used. The hard stone was used for kerbstones.
WW2 Quarry taken over by No. 40 group, controlled by RAF Quedgely in Gloucestershire. The RAF used it to store lubricating oils and similar in drums.
1st March 1941 Elm Park transferred to No.42 Group as a satellite to Ridge Quarry. Now under the control of Flying Officer G.N.R Saltmarsh.
22nd March Takes on 18 1000lb bombs, taken from RAF Harpur Hill as part of a successful experiment.
5th April A heading, innermost end, was let to University of Bristol for archive storage. (this ended towards the end of the war)
Jan 1943 Stocks totalled 111 tons of ammunition.
June 1943 A rush output of stocked pre-empted closure as a magazine.
30th July 1943 Stocks left moved to Ridge Quarry
Oct 1943 Quarry transferred to the Admiralty.
1998 Pictors Bath Stone secured a new lease including modern planning permission to establish access to the quarry entrance. They spent a lot of money widening the haulage way from the surface to the working levels about 80 meters.
1999 Pictors lost right to Quarry due to planning engineering and lease issues.
August 2000 Elm Park Stone Ltd gaining a new lease to extract stone.
November 2000 Elm Stone blocks are being sold.
2000- present Quarrying continues.



DSC06911bcs.jpg





DSC06909bcs.jpg





DSC06908bcs.jpg





DSC06906bcs.jpg





DSC06904bcs.jpg





DSC06902bcs.jpg





DSC06901bcs.jpg





DSC06899bcs.jpg





DSC06894bcs.jpg





DSC06893bcs.jpg





DSC06892bcs.jpg





DSC06890bcs.jpg





DSC06884bcs.jpg





DSC06882bcs.jpg





DSC06880bcs.jpg





DSC06879bcs.jpg





DSC06877bcs.jpg





DSC06874bcs.jpg





DSC06873bcs.jpg





DSC06868bcs.jpg





DSC06865bcs.jpg





DSC06864bcs.jpg

And after a hard nights explore!​
 

Similar threads