real time web analytics
Report - - Elton mill -Cambs-sept 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Elton mill -Cambs-sept 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
History-
Not a vast amount of info on the net about this lovely place situated in the picturesque Cambridgeshire village of Elton. The Water mill on the River Nene dates from pre-1800 but in the early 19th century it was extended and rebuilt, as indicated by the carving of 'AD 1840' on a gable plaque.

Used for grinding corn, the mill is three storeys high with an attic. Its iron and wooden waterwheel measured approximately 14 feet in diameter and 12 feet wide and remains place today with water still flowing beneath it. The miller's house which was attached to the north-west of the mill was demolished as far back as 1881.

The building was listed at Grade II in 1988 and it appears in the 90's the mill was (briefly) re-opened as a tourist attraction but closed shortly after and has sat empty and boarded-up since.

The explore . After seeing this place was local and had a spare few hours decided to ring up my mate and venture over not really my usual I have to admit I did enjoy this , The higher you go inside the floors get worse so be carful also their is fish in the water so don’t step on them :D . Hope ya enjoy the pictures ! Apologise I don’t usually photo this type of place so ent the best ! But good enough to post I think

p.s watch out for the wet hole you shall find it

Cheers @bikinglyn was good mooch ! Hope ya enjoyed seing my view

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Nice, especially the view from below! I was just putting together a report of this place myself, but won't bother now - I had thought about going in under the wheel but didn't end up going in that way and then ran out of time. Wish I had now! Good stuff.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Nice, especially the view from below! I was just putting together a report of this place myself, but won't bother now - I had thought about going in under the wheel but didn't end up going in that way and then ran out of time. Wish I had now! Good stuff.
Sorry mate for stealing it of you ! If you ever go back definitely go up the pipes their is a spectacular underwater cog their I wish I had a underwater disposable camera to get a picture of it would be so good ! Thanks for the compliments

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Sorry mate for stealing it of you ! If you ever go back definitely go up the pipes their is a spectacular underwater cog their I wish I had a underwater disposable camera to get a picture of it would be so good ! Thanks for the compliments

Ha, no theft here, I'm hardly the first, and I'm also too slow at writing these things up at the moment. Nice little place though, really nice atmosphere with the sound of the water rushing through the whole time.

Ooh, I like the sound of spectacular underwater cog! Double annoyed that I didn't go under now - a waterproof phone camera also has benefits.

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Water mills on fil-um could be a thing...