real time web analytics
Report - - Emborough Quarry, Somerset, June 2021 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Emborough Quarry, Somerset, June 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Emborough Quarry, Somerset, June 2021

Introduction:

It's been a while since I've put a report up, mainly due to moving jobs and locations, it's been a little stressful but I've made the time to do regular exploring just not without the time to report on what I've been up to. Hopefully I'll be able to do something with a rather large backlog especially with the first ten years on the forum coming up next month, we'll see, but it's best to start off with something fresh coming from @little_ boy_explores and I's recent West Country road trip.

I've had this place ticking away on a backburner inside my head for a few months now, I mean it's no Threkeld or Dinorwic and certainly not a priority pin but a few trains in a quarry is always a good place to chill with the camera. The thing that stood out to me though was the big bunker looking engine shed, I was keen to find out what might be in there, it could of course be empty but seeing trains outside I had hope for something to still be in there. Emborough Quarries are made up of three different sections No.1, No.2 and No.3 quarries, the quarry that we explored is No.2 Quarry. No.1 Quarry is completely empty with a small lake sat within it and No.3 quarry is still live, if we had a little more time in Emborough we might have had a look at No.3 but other priorities came first.

I can't find out exactly when No.2 Quarry opened but a little bit of history:

The site was owned by the Emborough Stone Company, who laid down the 2ft 6inch narrow gauge railway system that is still situated in the quarry. The railway runs from No.2 Quarry Engine shed passing underneath the seven arches of Nettlebridge viaduct, around the lake in No.1 Quarry returning to No.2 Quarry engine shed. After the closure of No.1 & No.2 Quarries the railway was handed over to a private railway enthusiast who apparently used to run trains around the circuit. Looking at the state of dereliction on the railway I can't see this to have happened for quite some time but as you'll see the engine shed is well looked after and in some good condition. In 2011 12 ex deep mine pony batteries where recorded to be stored on site, I believe nowadays it will probably be more like six, there's two outside and in a section of the main shed we couldn't get into I could make out at least another four.

Photos:

Looking onto the remaining quarry buildings and the bunker looking engine shed behind.

_DSC2548.jpg

The quarry buildings are worth a look if you're here but it would be a complete waste of time without the little railway and trains.

_DSC2526.jpg

_DSC2530.jpg

Looking onto Nettlebridge Viaduct from the little control room, plenty of narrow gauge stock in the small yard below.

_DSC2528.jpg

Moving closer to the engine shed there's a few nice bits of industrial kit

_DSC2543.jpg

_DSC2540.jpg

Inside the Main shed though is what makes this place worthy of reporting... The climb in is relatively easy if you have some upper body strength.

_DSC2549.jpg

Lister Engines, wondering if some of the narrow gauge locomotives use these? I'm only aware of them from working on Canal boats...

_DSC2567.jpg

_DSC2554.jpg

Epic little railway stock, cute

_DSC2565.jpg

_DSC2564.jpg

Next door was the workshops, and it's such a shame I couldn't find a way to get into that part, looked great, still this front section of the shed made the trip and the climb in worthwhile...

_DSC2569.jpg

_DSC2572.jpg

I'll leave it there, nice little bit of industry if you're passing by, I was actually a little surprised at how much industry the West Country had to offer!

Thanks for Reading,
TAW :)

Last edited:

Imba

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I got an absolute bollocking from a local heritage railway group member for having a wander around inside the big shed. Nice to see someone else has gotten in there too! Did you find the boxes of "explosives"?

IMG_7404.jpg

IMG_7408.jpg

Also, there is a wonderful overgrown bridge if you follow the tracks back out under the viaduct, and away from the machinery.

Last edited:

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I got an absolute bollocking from a local heritage railway group member for having a wander around inside the big shed. Nice to see someone else has gotten in there too! Did you find the boxes of "explosives"?

IMG_7404.jpg

IMG_7408.jpg

Also, there is a wonderful overgrown bridge if you follow the tracks back out under the viaduct, and away from the machinery.

No I never came across that! To be fair would have liked to have spent longer there but we were on a tight time frame to get LBE back to Bristol, guess I got lucky missing the owners then, sounds fun...

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
More about the railway. Set up circa 1996 by John Blatchford and known as the Blatchford Light Railway. This 2 ft 6 in (762 mm) gauge railway was originally intended to serve a pre-cast concrete plant in the quarry, but after that enterprise failed, it was retained as a private railway. The line starts at an industrial building in the No. 1 quarry, passes under Nettlebridge Viaduct and loops round the lake in No. 2 quarry. Well that was the intention, but your pictures show this hasn't progressed. Eleven industrial narrow gauge locomotives were present in 2011, along with one standard gauge locomotive. I cannot find a more recent report on the locomotives or indeed on Mr Blatchford.

Imba

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
More about the railway. Set up circa 1996 by John Blatchford and known as the Blatchford Light Railway. This 2 ft 6 in (762 mm) gauge railway was originally intended to serve a pre-cast concrete plant in the quarry, but after that enterprise failed, it was retained as a private railway. The line starts at an industrial building in the No. 1 quarry, passes under Nettlebridge Viaduct and loops round the lake in No. 2 quarry. Well that was the intention, but your pictures show this hasn't progressed. Eleven industrial narrow gauge locomotives were present in 2011, along with one standard gauge locomotive. I cannot find a more recent report on the locomotives or indeed on Mr Blatchford.

The track does actually go under the viaduct, and around the lake btw. You can follow it all the way around and back to the viaduct. Over the opposite side of the lake from the main quarry buildings, is where you'll find the bridge I mentioned earlier... I couldn't find find a pic last time I checked, but I'll have another hunt for it

dejay89

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi guys, we have just come back from visiting the quarry and couldnt find any way down from the quarry edge! we parked up along turners court lane, there was a break in the fence covered by a hedge which we got through, seemed to be a bit of a trail leading no where to be honest just led tpo the edge of the quarry top.... spent a good hour walking around the top but couldnt find any way down.... is there any other ways down? the site looks very nice and well kept from above the quarry top lol.

Who has read this thread (Total: 232) View details