real time web analytics
Information - - Entrance to Cults limestone mine. | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Entrance to Cults limestone mine.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was at Cults today for a quick look, the surviving western entrance is still open but there is a large heap of topsoil been dumped recently just next to the entrance, this can only be for the purpose of filling in the entrance? If anyone plans to visit they should be aware this entrance may not be usable for much longer, though the eastern entrance looks OK, for now anyway.
Few pics from todays visit.
DSC_6755.JPG
DSC_6745.JPG
DSC_6736.JPG
DSC_6747.JPG

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
Not good.... I was potentially looking at visiting in the not too distant future :confused:

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
They seem to be whittling down the entrances, I don't know if they mean to seal it completely. I visit Cults fairly regularly, I'll report any changes to the access points.

Dirge the sergal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
With anyluck they will do what they did at thurgoland...

Fill it so badly you can slide in after the first good rainstorm.

Soil isnt really a big issue. It erodes very quickly. Not to mention the number of sites that where "sealed" with topsoil that have eroded to the point access is possable. Just beacuse it was sealed 5 years ago when someone last looked doesnt mean it is now

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think the entrances already were bulldozed with soil many years ago when the mine shut (about 1965) as you only have a narrow gap and then slide a down a short slope inside. The grilled entrance had soil dumped over it earlier this year and thats already crumbled away significantly (thats the one in above picture where you can see daylight shining through).
I was watching a youtube video of an old mine in USA being explored and the bloke said at one point that the echo of his voice was becoming muffled, thats apparently a sign of rotten, unstable rock and I must say that sound in Cults just falls dead, theres no echo at all in most places in there. Theres a lot of waste/deads in there also though, that must soak up echoes quite a bit, but one glance at the roof in there tells you its seen better days, most ceiling rock is cracked and fractured to hell in there and theres bits of roof the size of a compact car have come down in places.

Moko

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey, I'm planning on going there within the next few weeks, do you know if there is any usable entrance at the moment?
It is an hour drive from my place so I would be sad being there without being able to get in :p

elhomer12

28DL Full Member
Hey, I'm planning on going there within the next few weeks, do you know if there is any usable entrance at the moment?
It is an hour drive from my place so I would be sad being there without being able to get in :p

I haven't got any info but wouldn't mind a mooch around here either if you need company, haha. I'm in glasgow

360 Scotland

28DL Member
28DL Member

There is entrances but please make sure your well equipped to get in and out. I was there this week and gave myself a bad injury to my side, leg and hand trying to get out it was that slippery i slid halfway back down.

Moko

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
elhomer, sure some company can be nice but we are from Edinburgh so we would have to meet there:)

Thanks 360 Scotland, we will take special care to this... I might buy security shoes too before going there, mine are back home

JohnSmith

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
elhomer, sure some company can be nice but we are from Edinburgh so we would have to meet there:)

Thanks 360 Scotland, we will take special care to this... I might buy security shoes too before going there, mine are back home

And for God's sake take extra lights and let someone know where you are going with a cut-off time to call for cave rescue

Moko

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah here is what I though about taking with me
- Torchlight (additional batteries I really don't feel like running short inside)
- Water
- First aid kit

elhomer12

28DL Full Member

Nah that's cool, I'd quite happily drive over there for a few hours underground :D Me and the other guy I do a bit of exploring with up here are planning to go at some point anyway, I just haven't got my act together and acquired the necessary location info yet :p I've pinned one of the former entrances, but realistically that ones the most likely to be sealed...

William Muir

LockdownUrbex
28DL Full Member
is this cults limestone mine which is outside of cupar i thought they closed it all up after people got lost inside im only going by the info which i read on a report from this or another urbex forum i was looking to go there aswell but wasnt sure as maybe it is best to have someone to acompany me incase :)

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
is this cults limestone mine which is outside of cupar i thought they closed it all up after people got lost inside im only going by the info which i read on a report from this or another urbex forum i was looking to go there aswell but wasnt sure as maybe it is best to have someone to acompany me incase :)
Cults is certainly still accessible though some of the more obvious entrances have been sealed up, you can follow various lengths of string for some way to avoid getting lost, be careful as it can be quite an intimidating place if you do get lost, many miles of chaotically arranged tunnels.

Who has read this thread (Total: 168) View details