Web
Analytics
Equipment for newbie | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Equipment for newbie

sarahlou85

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi all I am very new to this and I am going to start exploring area in devon where i know there are old derelict buildings. The question is i have no idea where to start to buying equipment. I know the basics, torch good footwear and camera. But what kind of camera would i need and is there anything else i need?

chills

• Chief Noob Wrangler •
Regular User
Welcome to the site!

Have a read of the following link to help you get a feel of the site and how things work:

On the site there’s a torch guide which will be able to advise on the best torches for your budget and needs. See this here:

As for kit including cameras, it’s really dependent on what budget your is and what you’re really looking to get out of it.

I myself use my phone and get some great shots, it’s all about how you use it and light the location.

Alternatively, you could probably get away with a cheap entry level DSLR. I started with a Canon 350D which would probably put you back less than £100 now. However, there’s no point in getting a good camera if you’ve got no clue to use it!

Take a look at some tech reviews and other posts here on the site as similar questions have been asked before.

ItsJackson15

28DL Member
28DL Member
I have a Nikon D90 with a AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens however I would go with a cheaper setup if you aren't going to use it loads.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Hi all I am very new to this and I am going to start exploring area in devon where i know there are old derelict buildings. The question is i have no idea where to start to buying equipment. I know the basics, torch good footwear and camera. But what kind of camera would i need and is there anything else i need?
that really is an open ended question depending on budget & what you want to achieve.
Obviously a DSLR with the widest poss lens is best but can cost a fortune & as a lot of us have found out can easily get broken exploring.
I use a 10-20mm lens most of the time but carry a 18-200 in case I want to get any high detail shots. a tripod is a must too but again lightweight compact ones can cost a lot.
A lot of people just use phones these days though & I would say they only struggle with long exposure stuff.

Generally I keep my kit as small as poss, I have decent boots, stretch fit jeans (best exploring trousers Iv found & £10 off ebay) gloves mainly for anto climb paint.
A super expensive hand held torch & a head torch which all fits in a shoulder camera bag.

I have other stuff too like a 45ft rope ladder & grappling hook but thats a bit extreme lol