real time web analytics
Report - - Erdington Public Baths - Birmingham - February 2019 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Erdington Public Baths - Birmingham - February 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Another quickie for you. I have been meaning to head over to the forbidden land (north of the M6) and check if this building was even still there let alone explorable for ages.. Today i had a reason to go and must have got lucky, despite my laziness not only was it still there the door was swinging in the breeze!

I cant find much on the history of the baths other than it was erected and opened on 6th May, 1925 and comprised of a swimming bath, suites of washing baths for men and women, and a Turkish baths. I think other than Moseley road this is really the last baths of this era left in Birmingham that hasn't either been replaced, converted or totally modernised. Over the years we have done a few, Stirchley, Northfield but also missed a few Harborne, Sparkhill, Tiverton, Kent Street etc.. This one closed a few years back along with Northfield, Tiverton Road and a couple of later 60s pools to be replaced with brand new facilities.. Apparently its 'cost saving' to spend millions on new buildings rather then just a few 1000 on maintaining the ones they have got! That said after a wander round this one i could see it was very much due for an upgrade. It was hardly inviting! Reminded me of school swimming lessons. Ugh..

c924163dd040641e6b15c789f6ed3e17.jpg

1eeec6bec265685196db6f4bc99f0303.jpg

I managed to find a couple of old shots of what it used to be like.. Sadly the original ticket booth thing is long gone..

IMG_9010 (2).JPG

Its a nice enough place from the front

IMG_9013 (2).JPG

Quite plain compared to some but still better then the monstrosity thats replaced it..

IMG_9006 (2).JPG

Still has the original chimney

IMG_8986 (2).JPG

Inside theres only the one pool.

IMG_9002 (2).JPG

The changing rooms are non existent. You got a cubical!

IMG_9003 (2).JPG

Still some nice old features left tho.

IMG_9001 (2).JPG

Showers at the shallow end.

IMG_8993 (2).JPG

This one really was the height of basic..

IMG_8994 (2).JPG

The entrance lobby still retained its nice partition.

IMG_8995 (2).JPG

To the right hand side of the pool there was another nicely glazed door.

IMG_8997 (2).JPG

This lead into a nice glazed brick room, converted to a dance studio now but possibly this was the public baths originally?

IMG_8998 (2).JPG

On the left hand side of the pool there was a number of modern office type rooms and the Turkish baths.. These were unfortunately pretty modern so i didn't bother photographing it all.

IMG_8990 (2).JPG

Annoyingly the industrial section of the pool was locked up.. It looked old from a few peeks though the window tho so maybe i might head back one day..

Last edited: