real time web analytics
Report - - Ernest Wright / Kutrite scissor manufacturers, Sheffield - April '13 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ernest Wright / Kutrite scissor manufacturers, Sheffield - April '13

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Kaplan

Procrastinator
28DL Full Member
Right, I might take some flak for this “reportâ€￾ and it will end up in the pit – 5 crap shots in an empty building.

I was only going to put up a couple of shots in the General thread, but decided that this is such an important site for Sheffield that it was worth documenting properly.

In the 1970s, Sheffield boasted no less than 150 small scissor-making companies. Now there are just two. One of those companies, established in 1902, is Ernest Wright & Son (known as the more ‘modern’ Kutrite from the 60's up until the last few years). The other is William Whiteley & Sons.

Ernest Wright and Son, had only three skilled scissor-makers left at the start of 2010 but found a 20 year old apprentice to carry on their work and ensure the art of scissor making is not consigned to history. They moved to new premises on Broad lane, the first time in a long time that the company had not been located on Kelham Island and the company found a new lease of life. Not fantastic news for an explorer, as they took anything of interest with them in the move, but great news for the company and Sheffield’s industrial heritage.

Two great articles on Ernest Wright can be found here and here.
The history page of their website is also interesting.

Another site I'd been keeping an eye on for a long while and after one unsuccessful solo attempt, finally got inside the place with jazzywheelz one night.
We were very underwhelmed, in fact I believe jw didn't even get his camera out, but as I say I felt it an important place to document.

8672455081_c6f67a32f6_b.jpg

8672455231_1d39f4f2f2_b.jpg

8672455189_bc3321b97a_b.jpg

8673556756_3054815ea9_b.jpg

8672455063_1e344c7e3b_b.jpg

I fully expect this to be pitted :bananapopcorn

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details