real time web analytics
Report - - Essex Country Hospital, New Jersey, June 2008 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Essex Country Hospital, New Jersey, June 2008

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

A

arntzville

Essex County Hospital, a New Jersey mental institution dating to the late 1800's, is currently in the process of being demolished, but I was lucky enough to spend a day crawling all over and under it with a great group of local explorers. I had heard that the place was special, but for some reason my expectations weren't very high. WAS I EVER WRONG... Essex was fucking awesome. I loved it. My favorite part was the tunnels, which seemed to go on forever. When the thunderstorm broke wide open, we were striding through the cramped tunnels, getting rained on when we walked under grates, heads barely clearing the arched ceiling, voices echoing crazily, up and down hills, up and down ladders, it was AWESOME!!! At the height of the thunderstorm we emerged into the gymnasium, which had an amazingly warped floor and a moderate-sized pond of rainwater. Rolling chairs were procured, and ridden down the steep slope of the floor into the lake as the thunder crashed. Overall this was one of the most fun explores I've ever been part of.

1. All kinds of stuff left behind...
01.jpg

2. The main lobby
02.jpg

3. Hair salon. (I know this is underexposed... I think it looks best this way.)
03.jpg

4. This plastic angel was nearly all that remained in the chapel. (I know this is overexposed... I think it looks best this way.)
04.jpg

5. An empty former day room.
05.jpg

6. A place to gather and watch the paint peel.
06.jpg

7. A very narrow, steep, green staircase.
07.jpg

8. A legendary local explorer who served as one of our guides.
ed.jpg

9. One of the more irresistible photo opportunities that the hospital offered.
09.jpg

10. This amazing safe hid in a dark room. I had some help lighting it for a 30-second exposure.
10.jpg

11. The top floor of the admin building was skipped during the ill-advised updates of the 1980's that mangled the rest of it.
11.jpg

11. Crazy mural!
12.jpg

12. A darkened, clutter-filled hallway.
13.jpg

13. A restful porch.
14.jpg

14. The power plant.
15.jpg

15. The heavily tagged morgue.
morgue.jpg

Hope these were interesting to look at!