real time web analytics
Report - - ESWA SOCIAL CLUB-birkenhead-AUG 2017 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - ESWA SOCIAL CLUB-birkenhead-AUG 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

scotty markfour

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The co-operative Employees Social Welfare Association club (eswa) is situated next to the famous birkenhead park on the wirral. this 3 storey victorian house has laid empty since 2012.
In 2013 this property sufferedextensive damage from a suspected arson attack , most of the damage was to the upper floor and roof , in 2014 it was bought by a building renovation company called ND PROPERTY LTD , a local wirral firm. they want to turn it into 11 apartments with further propertys built on the club grounds.

This social club was once the childhood home of everest climber ANDREW sandy IRVINE
THE MYSTERY OF IRVINE AND MALLORY
the mystery of irvine and mallory-and whether they made it to the summit of mount everest-has fascinated mountaineers for generations..... the climbers left their camp on june 8 1924 but neither returned ,cheshire born mallory lived some streets away from irvine in slatey rd birkenhead , mallory was on his 3rd attempt to conquer everest.
IRVINE 22 and MALLORY 37 , were last seen alive at 12.50pm on the north east ridge by fellow climber NOEL ODDELL and were said to be "going strong for the top".
mallorys frozen body was discovered in 1999 during a clean up of the mountain , but irvine and his camera have never been found , it was said that irvine a keen photographer would have recorded any triumph , experts say the camera n film he carried would survive to this day providing any did they ?or did,nt they make the summit ?
IRVINE and MALLORY became national heroes and their disappearance so close to the summit prompted wide spread mourning . in 2004 a plaque was dedicated at everest base camp to the 2 deceased heroes of the british empire.

THE EXPLORE- i had drove past this empty ugly victorian house many times hoping for the time i could have a close up look of the property , one visit my luck paid off and i found a way in ! i returned with my trusty sidekick missus to check it out one night ! as you will see from the pics the inside was pretty bare and you can see the large extent of damage to the roof from an arson attack in 2013 , most of the flooring has been repaired and is safe to walk around on , though parts of the roof have yet to be repaired fully and is only protected by plastic sheeting n tarpaulins ! watch out for the pigeons inside who flew into windows when we surprised them with our presence .

THE PICS- as usual i used my trusty 10-18mm wide angled canon lens , enjoy the monochrome pics folks !

eswa24c2bc5.jpg

eswa241411.jpg

eswa163c00.jpg

eswa23f68eb.jpg

eswa2261bb1.jpg

eswa21c6f57.jpg

eswa20ffac9.jpg

eswa191738f.jpg

eswa1881556.jpg

eswa17da847.jpg

eswa168daee.jpg

eswa15883b2.jpg

eswa143f982.jpg

eswa131cf7f.jpg

eswa129e433.jpg

eswa1177571.jpg

eswa10b2bcd.jpg

eswa906807.jpg

eswa8fd7c3.jpg

eswa7c267a.jpg

eswa6dd948.jpg

eswa59e9ce.jpg

eswa4d0e2e.jpg

eswa35e86a.jpg

bikebouy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The heritage people are objecting to the building of new houses at the rear ajoining Birkenhead Park, but the sale of those homes if built would pay for the renovaton of the ESWA club house, and provide homes for local people hopefully, til the nimbyists can agree the building falls into even more of a decrepit state, also down the road is a burnt out church with no roof and the old Cole Street School now looking as if work is being started on some sort of renovation.

scotty markfour

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The heritage people are objecting to the building of new houses at the rear ajoining Birkenhead Park, but the sale of those homes if built would pay for the renovaton of the ESWA club house, and provide homes for local people hopefully, til the nimbyists can agree the building falls into even more of a decrepit state, also down the road is a burnt out church with no roof and the old Cole Street School now looking as if work is being started on some sort of renovation.
cheers for that info @bikebouy ,could,nt be arsed with exploring that church but i have been eyeing up that school ! lol

bikebouy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Its finally been done up and renovated looks ok , the houses etc appear to be going forward at the rear, leaving a hell of a mess of mud on the roadway neighbours are not happy about, only one entrance into it as well, Cole street school is still empty and the old church and house on the same rd are now secured, with a local tv personality spotted having a look round,,"My arse" may be a clue.