Web
Analytics
Report - - Ewart Park, nr. Wooler November 2018 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ewart Park, nr. Wooler November 2018

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Ewart Park is a place I have wanted to see for ages, but as it was so ridiculously far away from my home base I had never considered it, until my annual trip to Scotland came about and well it'd be rude to not pop in whilst passing, right? Especially as it made a good point to aim for a soon-after-dawn explore having travelled through the night.

The original part of Ewart Park was constructed between 1787 and 1790, with the large extension to the west wing added in 1870. It has been empty in part since at least the early 1950s, the listing text submitted to English Heritage states that at the time the survey was done in 1951 it was empty and partially derelict. Fast forward to the present day and it's fair to say it's not in the best shape internally! Many of the floors are rotted through, too sketchy to cross or just collapsed completely, however it's almost totally natural decayed state suits my tastes perfectly.

After parking up we made our way through the trees and quickly found a way inside, and spent an undisturbed hour or so poking around and trying not to fall through anything. Externally it's an amazing looking building, and the way it suddenly reveals itself through the trees is pretty awesome.

Thanks for looking :)

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Its a lovely spot did you get up to the tower the views are even better from there. I spent a while just soaking up the beautiful Northumberland country side.

Mermaidy

28DL Member
28DL Member
Went looking for it today. Got spooked we would be chased off by a farmer etc. Has anyone that's been there been approached and asked to leave?

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Went looking for it today. Got spooked we would be chased off by a farmer etc. Has anyone that's been there been approached and asked to leave?
Just don't go up the driveway and you'll be fine.

Jimticker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ewart Park is a place I have wanted to see for ages, but as it was so ridiculously far away from my home base I had never considered it, until my annual trip to Scotland came about and well it'd be rude to not pop in whilst passing, right? Especially as it made a good point to aim for a soon-after-dawn explore having travelled through the night.

The original part of Ewart Park was constructed between 1787 and 1790, with the large extension to the west wing added in 1870. It has been empty in part since at least the early 1950s, the listing text submitted to English Heritage states that at the time the survey was done in 1951 it was empty and partially derelict. Fast forward to the present day and it's fair to say it's not in the best shape internally! Many of the floors are rotted through, too sketchy to cross or just collapsed completely, however it's almost totally natural decayed state suits my tastes perfectly.

After parking up we made our way through the trees and quickly found a way inside, and spent an undisturbed hour or so poking around and trying not to fall through anything. Externally it's an amazing looking building, and the way it suddenly reveals itself through the trees is pretty awesome.

Thanks for looking :)
I'm fortunate enough to live at Ewart Newtown, opposite the entrance to Ewart Park House. The building has been secured due to locals apparently making adult films there and there are notices warning its private land and against trespassing. So on the opposite side where the farm is you will see a massive building which was built as a hotel but is known as the Farmers Hall. It has a sprung dance floor and was used during WW2 for dances by the locals and Polish airmen being trained at the nearby airfield, now Borders Gliding Club. Old photos of the airfield can be seen at the Red Lion in Milfield, food and rooms are available, as is beer from the nearby Ford and Etal Estate Brewery. The hotel was built in anticipation of the railway coming through from Wooler into the Borders. I believe this didn't happen at Ewart because there was too much clay in the soil so the railway was routed through Bendor and Akeld. The signal box at Bendor Crossing and Akeld Station still exist, although the station is now a private house. As well as the hotel waiting rooms were built on the other side, in the 1860's, but these too are now private houses. There is also a larger property called The Garden House, again private residence, which may have been for the station master or could have been for the family from Ewart Park House once it became too big and run down. I haven't really looked into that. I'll attempt to add some photos
Ewart Park House as it was.
Black Hag from Ford and Etal brewery.
The hotel.
3 of Ewart Newtown, 1 inside the Red Lion and Ewart Park House South face.

Attachments

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I'm fortunate enough to live at Ewart Newtown, opposite the entrance to Ewart Park House. The building has been secured due to locals apparently making adult films there and there are notices warning its private land and against trespassing. So on the opposite side where the farm is you will see a massive building which was built as a hotel but is known as the Farmers Hall. It has a sprung dance floor and was used during WW2 for dances by the locals and Polish airmen being trained at the nearby airfield, now Borders Gliding Club. Old photos of the airfield can be seen at the Red Lion in Milfield, food and rooms are available, as is beer from the nearby Ford and Etal Estate Brewery. The hotel was built in anticipation of the railway coming through from Wooler into the Borders. I believe this didn't happen at Ewart because there was too much clay in the soil so the railway was routed through Bendor and Akeld. The signal box at Bendor Crossing and Akeld Station still exist, although the station is now a private house. As well as the hotel waiting rooms were built on the other side, in the 1860's, but these too are now private houses. There is also a larger property called The Garden House, again private residence, which may have been for the station master or could have been for the family from Ewart Park House once it became too big and run down. I haven't really looked into that. I'll attempt to add some photos
Ewart Park House as it was.
Black Hag from Ford and Etal brewery.
The hotel.
3 of Ewart Newtown, 1 inside the Red Lion and Ewart Park House South face.
Thanks for all that info, it's great to hear things like that.

If you're adding photos don't forget to press the 'insert full images' button when they're uploaded!