real time web analytics
Report - - Excelsior Mine Shaft, Cornwall, October 2018 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Excelsior Mine Shaft, Cornwall, October 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
All the info here at Subbrit - very interesting history used for explosives detonations in connection with underground nuclear testing. The entire area was once full of mines dating right across history.

https://www.subbrit.org.uk/sites/excelsior-tunnel/

Very waterlogged and collapsing in places; definitely a dangerous place but very interesting and eerie nonetheless. Would recommend safety helmets in future for anywhere like this, although I dont think the masks were particularly necessary. Nothing more than a dead-straight horizontal shaft into the hill. My friends went almost right to the very end whilst I kept watch at the start, and I could still see them as a tiny speck of silhoutted torchlight right off in the distance so you can tell just how straight the shaft was.

Kitts Hill was also an interesting place to look around, plenty of old mine bits and some great views

KitHillMine-4.jpg

KitHillMine-10.jpg

KitHillMine-13.jpg

KitHillMine-23.jpg

KitHillMine-24.jpg

KitHillMine-25.jpg

KitHillMine-26.jpg

KitHillMine-29.jpg

KitHillMine-31.jpg

KitHillMine-33.jpg

KitHillMine-34.jpg

KitHillMine-36.jpg

KitHillMine-38.jpg

KitHillMine-40.jpg

KitHillMine-41.jpg

KitHillMine-42.jpg

KitHillMine-44.jpg

KitHillMine-46.jpg

KitHillMine-47.jpg

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Beat me to it mate.

Nice pics!

Also if this is the mine I think it is theres a Radon issue there, not that thats usally a problem but worth knowing.

Wastelandr

Regular User
Beat me to it mate.

Nice pics!

Also if this is the mine I think it is theres a Radon issue there, not that thats usally a problem but worth knowing.

Cheers! From my research there was never any radioactive material here or remaining, although yeah I guess you never know about underground radon gas but I would imagine that's not going to be harmful for a 2 hour visit

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
The radon level is supposedly stupidly high in there. My mate went in a few months ago and his dick still hasnt fallen off so its probably OK :thumb

Wastelandr

Regular User
The radon level is supposedly stupidly high in there. My mate went in a few months ago and his dick still hasnt fallen off so its probably OK :thumb

Fingers crossed! Where did you hear about that?

Wastelandr

Regular User
Indeed. Being at university we didn’t have any wellies with us so we tried binbags instead - didn’t last 2 minutes! Ideally could’ve done with the waders
Maybe some wellies as well. Some of that mud can't be good for your clothes, especially the guy in jeans and a flatcap

Who has read this thread (Total: 199) View details