real time web analytics
Exploring the UK coal industry 2006 - 2016 | Noteworthy Reports | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Exploring the UK coal industry 2006 - 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mr Sam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Liking that shot of the winding wheels in motion and the ancient cctv set!

RIP coal mining in the UK :(

WelshMoocher

Where'd the floor go?
28DL Full Member
@dweeb what a superb set. You have truly preserved the heritage of one of the UKs last industries. Combine that with Steel, and soon there will be nothing left but photographs.

demble

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great set, particularly interesting and poignant for a county durham lad like me too.

tell us more about the 'ghost miner' though?!

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
tell us more about the 'ghost miner' though?!

Turk, OT and I were crossing the slag heaps at Rossington in the dead of night. It was a moonlit night so we were avoiding torches so not to be spotted. We were all crunching along chatting when OT stops us and points ahead. There about twenty feet away from us was a guy, dressed in donkey with an Oldham lamp on his helmet. We all stood waiting for the obvious "oi, what are you doing", when he just slowly walked away and disappeared into the darkness again! So,

• He was a security guard, who didn't fancy his chances on a colliery slag heap in pitch darkness when he was outnumbered 3 - 1
  • He didn't see us (unlikely)
  • It was a ghost miner.
I believe it was the latter :)

Raz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
cracking collection there mate! Enjoyed looking through that :)

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Colossal effort.

Turk, OT and I were crossing the slag heaps at Rossington in the dead of night. It was a moonlit night so we were avoiding torches so not to be spotted. We were all crunching along chatting when OT stops us and points ahead. There about twenty feet away from us was a guy, dressed in donkey with an Oldham lamp on his helmet. We all stood waiting for the obvious "oi, what are you doing", when he just slowly walked away and disappeared into the darkness again! So,

• He was a security guard, who didn't fancy his chances on a colliery slag heap in pitch darkness when he was outnumbered 3 - 1
  • He didn't see us (unlikely)
  • It was a ghost miner.
I believe it was the latter :)

WTF! I would have created a slag heap in my trousers witnessing that.

LoganMcrae

The Fox
28DL Full Member
Great report! Can I ask, what is this location called?
Gascoigne%20Wood%2073_zpslrcqn2wb.jpg

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
That's Gascoigne Wood I believe. Its where coal would be loaded on the trains.

Who has read this thread (Total: 586) View details