real time web analytics
Exploring the UK coal industry 2006 - 2016 | Noteworthy Reports | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Exploring the UK coal industry 2006 - 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Having been bred from collier stock and growing up smack bang in the middle of the Warwickshire coal field it is little wonder I developed an interest in the coal industry. I can trace colliers in my family up to five generations ago, in the small pit villages around County Durham. I have a hazy recollection of being taken to Easington Colliery as a small child to meet elderly relatives in back to back houses, virtually in the shadow of Easington pit.

As asylum fever swept through the UE scene in 2005 - 06 there were very few people taking any notice of the epic industry that was around at that time. I owe a great debt to @Dave W & @Joe. who were there at the very early days battering this stuff. My first coal related explore was with them at the Selby Complex... I was hooked...

Over the next few years Turk and I drove to every scrap of the coal industry that we cold find. It became a bit of an obsession to try and capture what remained before it was all gone. Other than the few mining museums dotted around it became apparent that little of the industry would end up preserved (as we have recently seen at Snibston even the structures that were retained are not guaranteed to be around forever.)

The recent round of closures marks the end of an iconic industry. While it's been fantastic to see some new sites, one cannot help feeling a tinge of sadness, not just for the industry and the workers, but also that there will be very little to see in the future... no new headstocks to climb, no lamp rooms to rummage in. This is the last of the last.

So, below are a few images from the past decade's efforts. I've just been playing at it in comparison to Dave and Joe, but none the less I am reasonably proud of what I managed to get to see...

DSC_0352_zpsrq9kpi8v.jpg

Gascoigne%20wood%20badge_zpsrrdxvs5r.jpg

First colliery explore with Dave and Joe...
hbvg_zpsb9uydpq3.jpg

DSC_0312_zps7befifg1.jpg

DSC_0388_zpsnlsp75yh.jpg

My first headstock, Pleasley colliery 2006.
Pleasley%20Headstock_zps0zkzdpge.jpg

DSC_0371_zpsay6tuuoy.jpg

Gascoigne%20Wood%2073_zpslrcqn2wb.jpg

Clipstone%2029_zpsrjwte4kd.jpg

Chatterley%2029_zpsspzhytne.jpg

DSC_0316_zpsk3ifxt3w.jpg

A rare treat for me, tiled engine hall at Penallta
DSC_0461_zps6tlccek2.jpg

DSC_0387_zpsakzw4k5v.jpg

Hatfield%20Colliery%2047_zpsyhb9hkbm.jpg

Hatfield%20Colliery%2018_zpshvymyhgs.jpg

DSC_0498_zpsdeappogm.jpg

Shot firer's canister
DSC_0035_zpsa83zofyo.jpg

Hatfield%20Colliery%2073_zps43yb1qil.jpg

Kiveton%20Baths%2035_zpsvkxcifhp.jpg

Kiveton%20Baths%2032_zps2d9tdeb5.jpg

Kiveton baths, a little seen jem which was demolished a few years ago...
Kiveton%20Baths%2053_zpse1ea2zks.jpg

DSC_0007_zpsuty36cre.jpg

Chatterley%20122_zpsqnn7vql6.jpg

Chatterley%2056_zpsw1xep29l.jpg

Chatterley%20163_zpshmgstflt.jpg

Chatterley%2075_zps1eaghgkr.jpg

DSC_0049_zpsvdwxyg3v.jpg

Rossington%2035_zpsujs48qzu.jpg

Rossington, in my opinion the most attractive headstocks
Rossington%201_zpsvtkd7bfa.jpg

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Rossington%2092_zpsjmcqmfuk.jpg

Coalite's last employee
DSC_0302_zpsyqgxqkwt.jpg

Rossington%2067_zps0yn381te.jpg

DSC_0164_zpsrux7cykt.jpg

Entry from the last four men to descend down Thorne Colliery shaft before it was backfilled.
DSC_0389_zps7ctqlvla.jpg

Ann%20May%2007%2034_zpsq3dvghat.jpg

One of my regrets, I missed Rossington's bath house by a few days. By the glazed bricks and battered lockers scattered around, it would have been a belter too :(
Rossington%20112_zpsmbquexei.jpg

The night we met Rossington's "ghost miner"
ss%201%20of%201-6_zpsijvavs8d.jpg

Idle lamps at Thorne Colliery
DSC_0363_zps7zmswidq.jpg

DSC_0616_zpshh74rvbk.jpg

DSC_0264_zps0xooxrsv.jpg

DSC_0399_zpsidau3jsk.jpg

DSC_0375_zpsnsbcujdz.jpg

DSC_0406_zpstkfyuzta.jpg

DSC_0288_zpsoffb3x8o.jpg

DSC_0057_zpsgyxtzqru.jpg

Turk learns how to operate a winder at Tower Colliery, just after closure.
DSC_0184_zps8dxo5wdc.jpg

No doubt some interesting times in this room...
DSC_0466_zpsjbtphdz9.jpg

Miner returning his lamp, just after closure at Tower
DSC_0299_zpsrtamfvg3.jpg

30's modernism meets Victorian ironwork at Lynemouth
DSC_0364_zpsy3wbnu3t.jpg

DSC_0479_zpsehcex8tt.jpg

DSC_0470_zpsuaamtyhd.jpg

DSC_0525_zpsx7vw4ue2.jpg

DSC_0719_zpszlt3l5sy.jpg

DSC_0503_zpsv8n09f2j.jpg

DSC_0798_zpscrvfxfem.jpg

DSC_0107_zpsx1e3snu9.jpg

DSC_0853_zpspcg35q22.jpg

DSC_0141_zps0mk9cnvf.jpg

DSC_0378_zps3wy100ll.jpg

Miss.Industrial

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I remeber you did not like that set of steps at gassey wood at all! Shame it went so fast really, but then that was true of so many of the pit closures around that time.

The window between a pit being in use and demolition was always tight and thinking back its a wonder that we managed to see as much as we did.

Few other people can claim to have covered as much of the last days of coal as you have, it takes years of dedication to put together sets of photos like this and its a task now that cannot be repeated.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I remeber you did not like that set of steps at gassey wood at all!.

That seems like a lifetime ago!

I have a lot of regrets, I wish I had made more trips to Rossington and Welbeck, but it's easy to say that, I had a full time job / relationship / other stuff to see! I am pleased we documented as much as we did, so much of the above has gone now and like you say once it's gone it's gone!

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really enjoyed looking through this, the effort you put into some of your reports is something else :thumb

nsdev

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Brilliant work, what will, in the near future, be historically important pictures there. Won't be so long before people won't know what a lot of the content of those shots was for!

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lovely mate, top work right there.

The night we met Rossington's "ghost miner"

Yeah that was ridiculous. One minute we were being hunted down and hiding on the slag heap, the next that guy walked a couple of metres away and straight past us.

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's pretty special. Not much left to show for it now, save for the odd wheel half submerged in concrete by way of commemoration...

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That is what you you call putting in the effort, absolutly fantastic…god i wish i had started 5 years before i did and knew more people too doing this, personally i feel i missed so much in the North west around 2000 to 2005 before the big development boom…cant wait to see what to put up next.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
It's rather sad looking back on that lot now, the decline in British Industry is sickening really!

Without the likes of this (and the efforts of @Dave W / @Joe. @Speed) we would have very little in the way of reminder, so for that I thank you lot :thumb

Cuuvin

28DL Colonial Member
28DL Full Member
:thumb:thumb Aye, This be a right proper look back at what once was ... 'Tis a shame. Nicely done though!

Who has read this thread (Total: 586) View details