real time web analytics
Exploring the UK coal industry 2006 - 2016 | Noteworthy Reports | Page 4 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Exploring the UK coal industry 2006 - 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

myke

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The miners did not outprice themselves the government introduced carbon tax on coal effectively doubling the price most coal fired power stations are now closed or burn biomass fuels like Drax https://www.drax.com/about-us/

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
That didnt make any difference to the price of coal. Just burning the coal. The miners 100% priced themselves out of a job.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
To be honest I believe the outcome would have been similar with or without the strike. If the strike had not have happened the NCB would have introduced their scheme of closing pits on grounds of economy and as foreign imports increasingly made the whole home industry uneconomic the result would have been similar.

The way the regions who relied on the industry were just abandoned without assistance for recovery was the biggest crime in my opinion.

urbex-travel

Travel and explore abandoned places
28DL Full Member
I have been in a lot of coal mines in Silesia, Poland, but the UK is impressive as well. I have to add it to my urbex map.

Anteous

28DL Member
28DL Member
Brings back a lot of memories,27 years down the pit,Western Area,lived through the strike,Thatcher shut the pits,McGregor fought the strike,bought out nacods with lies,I was lucky moved to the health service never lost a day’s work 15 to 62 years old ,71 now ,well done dweeb.

SteadyRed

28DL Member
28DL Member
I just had to re-register after many years away from urban exploration, I was active during the early 2000s, maybe up to as late as 2010. Main interest was railways / industry, recently I have been following the final destruction of the power generation / mining / railway industry.

The reason for re-registering (cannot remember what my original username was) was to say a big thanks to dweeb for such excellent photos. Amazing how an industry can be completely wiped from a countries' economy in a few short years.

The Doncaster side of my family was involved with sinking the shafts at Yorkshire Main (Edlington) & Rossington collieries, my direct family worked within the steel industry in Sheffield.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I really enjoyed reading that and seeing your various visits. So wished I had gone more of them. So many things I wished I had gone too. But I do love the old collieries with mining in the family. With my grandfather working the mines and going back several generations.

Pippy

28DL Member
28DL Member
After visiting the Scottish Mining Museum the other week this is an incredible post! So interesting! Thank you!

Ross

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Aye, balance the books this year etc etc....I feel for all those families of the time. I don't know the figures but they are still importing inferior coal to this day with an inferior calorific value. That's what they didn't tell anyone at the start. It was simply not economically viable....Love the photos by the way...

Who has read this thread (Total: 586) View details