Web
Analytics
Question - - External HDD | Computers, Websites and Technology | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - External HDD

RXQueen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Afternoon all

so I now have a camera and am shooting in RAW. On testing out the camera, when I load the pics to my iPad the files are too big and I run out of space quickly.

so I’m looking at either getting a laptop or Macbook or an external HDD

so, can anyone advise? as long as the HDD is compatible with the iPad and I can load the photos directly from the camera to the drive and then view them on the iPad (if that makes sense)

or could someone advise the type of laptop and memory size I would need.

thank you

tumbles

Trip Hopping
Regular User
Laptops come typically with SSD hard drives these days, great for speed but lower capcity (typically 256GB to 1TB) - you will fill up a hard drive on a laptop pretty quickly with raw files.

You'd need an iPad with USB-C connection (I think only the pro's? do that that at mo) to be able to directly view the images from the HDD on the iPad. I'm not quite understanding why you want to view them on the ipad?

alex17595

Down t'pit
28DL Full Member
A laptop would make more sense, you can just skip the ipad stage completely. The best £/gb is standard 3.5in HDD on a desktop pc, for a laptop you need 2.5inch and you can get a terrabyte for about £40. With a laptop you can just buy more external hard drives as you need them anyway.

I had a look online a for Ipad ones and it's seems it's mostly usb style storage. Probably something to do with hard drives needing a power source?

Jack430T

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Personally if you are now shooting RAW, its probably best to view them on a mac/laptop rather than and IPAD. The workflow itself is a lot faster that way, rather than dragging large files around on an IPAD which will run out of space pretty quick. In terms of storage id look at anything between 2TB-4TB so you have enough room to store the RAW files as well as an edits/adjustments. You can purchase macs/laptops with a large storage capacity, but the price can be high!

RXQueen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks.

I would love a Mac. Would 2nd hand be advisable and who would be a good stockist? CEX?
sorry for all the questions

Jack430T

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I brought a 2nd hand 2016 macbook a few years back, runs photoshop/lightroom and large RAW files without any issues.

Or as Lord Oort mentioned, a custom built pc is cheaper in long run and you can upgrade parts whenever..

RXQueen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Laptops come typically with SSD hard drives these days, great for speed but lower capcity (typically 256GB to 1TB) - you will fill up a hard drive on a laptop pretty quickly with raw files.

You'd need an iPad with USB-C connection (I think only the pro's? do that that at mo) to be able to directly view the images from the HDD on the iPad. I'm not quite understanding why you want to view them on the ipad?
I Find using iPad easier, it’s kinder on my hands (they’re riddled with arthritis)

Cuuvin

28DL Colonial Member
28DL Full Member
Last edited:

RXQueen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered a 500gb MacBook from curry’s, £250 off at the moment. Bit of an expense but bollocks to it, treating myself

ScruffyOtter

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi RXqueen! :cool:
I've only joined 28 today but I've been a storage geek for years and hopefully my knowledge might come in useful here. Sorry if it's not as timely as would have been ideal.

so I now have a camera and am shooting in RAW. On testing out the camera, when I load the pics to my iPad the files are too big and I run out of space quickly. so I’m looking at either getting a laptop or Macbook or an external HDD.
As you no doubt know, RAW files are huge (They're essentially uncompressed 24-32bit bitmaps) so they'll fill up most tablet devices quickly. Assuming you are/were connecting your camera directly to your ipad using one of the Apple photo adapters, this means you'd have to import and edit photos a few at a time.

If you don't mind loading photos via a laptop, there are ipad drives available from Sandisk (And other manufacturers; I recommend the former) which let you copy files to them from a laptop and then let you copy these across to the ipad. The downside to these is the drive can only be accessed using its companion app (This is an unavoidable inconvenience with all ipad/iphone drives) so you'd still have to load photos onto the ipad for editing and then copy them back to the drive when you're done. This'll probably be slower than loading/working from the camera directly.

as long as the HDD is compatible with the iPad and I can load the photos directly from the camera to the drive and then view them on the iPad (if that makes sense)
There are drives out there that can copy data from a camera or other device and make them available to the ipad over wifi, but like the ipad drives using them can be less than straightforward. The only one I have direct experience with is the Sandisk wireless media drive (Which has been out of market for a while) which would let you upload photos directly from the camera SD card and then work on them using the ipad, but as these only have up to 64GB of built-in storage they might still be a bit tight for space.

Other drives to look at are battery powered hard drives like the Seagate Wireless Plus and the WD My Passport Wireless Pro. These both have built-in SD card slots which can copy the contents of your cameras SD card to themselves and make these accessible to an ipad over their own wifi networks, which might be closer to what you were looking for.

For storing/archiving RAW photos you'll definitely want a hard drive as opposed to an SSD or flash drive for space, but I would advise having a second drive to back up to. Hard disks are very delicate devices and are easy to break/crash, so having a second drive with a regularly updated copy of the data on the first is definitely advisable.

Finally: Cloud services can make doing this a little easier (Upload to cloud from camera via laptop, then work on the cloud photos using your ipad) but cloud services come with a massive caveat - The data on them can vanish without warning, as anybody who used Fotopic will advise. If using cloud solutions, always keep a local copy of your work to guard against the cloud service suddenly going down.

Ordinarily I would post links to some of the things I've mentioned above, but as I'm a new user this could be viewed as spammy so I'll avoid doing so. You can find more information on them with Google if you're interested.

HtH! :thumb

RXQueen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi RXqueen! :cool:
I've only joined 28 today but I've been a storage geek for years and hopefully my knowledge might come in useful here. Sorry if it's not as timely as would have been ideal.

As you no doubt know, RAW files are huge (They're essentially uncompressed 24-32bit bitmaps) so they'll fill up most tablet devices quickly. Assuming you are/were connecting your camera directly to your ipad using one of the Apple photo adapters, this means you'd have to import and edit photos a few at a time.

If you don't mind loading photos via a laptop, there are ipad drives available from Sandisk (And other manufacturers; I recommend the former) which let you copy files to them from a laptop and then let you copy these across to the ipad. The downside to these is the drive can only be accessed using its companion app (This is an unavoidable inconvenience with all ipad/iphone drives) so you'd still have to load photos onto the ipad for editing and then copy them back to the drive when you're done. This'll probably be slower than loading/working from the camera directly.

There are drives out there that can copy data from a camera or other device and make them available to the ipad over wifi, but like the ipad drives using them can be less than straightforward. The only one I have direct experience with is the Sandisk wireless media drive (Which has been out of market for a while) which would let you upload photos directly from the camera SD card and then work on them using the ipad, but as these only have up to 64GB of built-in storage they might still be a bit tight for space.

Other drives to look at are battery powered hard drives like the Seagate Wireless Plus and the WD My Passport Wireless Pro. These both have built-in SD card slots which can copy the contents of your cameras SD card to themselves and make these accessible to an ipad over their own wifi networks, which might be closer to what you were looking for.

For storing/archiving RAW photos you'll definitely want a hard drive as opposed to an SSD or flash drive for space, but I would advise having a second drive to back up to. Hard disks are very delicate devices and are easy to break/crash, so having a second drive with a regularly updated copy of the data on the first is definitely advisable.

Finally: Cloud services can make doing this a little easier (Upload to cloud from camera via laptop, then work on the cloud photos using your ipad) but cloud services come with a massive caveat - The data on them can vanish without warning, as anybody who used Fotopic will advise. If using cloud solutions, always keep a local copy of your work to guard against the cloud service suddenly going down.

Ordinarily I would post links to some of the things I've mentioned above, but as I'm a new user this could be viewed as spammy so I'll avoid doing so. You can find more information on them with Google if you're interested.

HtH! :thumb
Thank you. I splashed out and got a Mac book