Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Faint memory - Bedford | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - Faint memory - Bedford

Andy-

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
When I was a teenager in the early 90's I remember visiting an open manhole and when looking down into it was a long tunnel. I was told it was an air raid shelter but I suspect the person who told me that had never been in it either so I really don't know what it was. I'd be interested if anyone has ever heard of this or is it a figment of my imagination?

It was located in some trees off rope walk behind St. Peter's church.

http://goo.gl/maps/0cExt

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
Prob is mate, there are loads of ex-ww2 shelters around Luton way which I keep meaning to check out, so I expect Bedford prolly has a few

Session9

A life backwards
Regular User
I'm in Bedford, will go and have a peep. Must admit not heard of it, but as Els says, they must be all over the place.

Andy-

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It was St Johns church not St peters although for historical information there were 3 large shelters under St Peters green which is where Bedford School now stands. I wonder if they still exist.

There is or was also a large on under Faraday Square which to this day has not been built on (except for a small building and a play park.)

Jon P

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
i have dejavu of this being posted before. never heard of it or seen confirmation it exists.

Pretty sure a stream runs through that part which might be why a tunnel is there.

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
The best thing to do would be to get out there and start lifting lids. Me and a mate did this back in Luton a few years back and we had to lift many a lid but we found them all in the end. Tbh, we got "better" at it as we went along and I think it was almost instinct towards the end, we just "knew" where to look.

Session9

A life backwards
Regular User
I have not seen any evidence of the shelters, but if anyone Bedford area fancies another look, PM.