real time web analytics
Report - - Fairmile Hospital, Berkshire - Jan 2009 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fairmile Hospital, Berkshire - Jan 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Continuing on the Charles Henry Howell theme from yesterday - Litterally the coldest day I've ever explored. -14 Deg when we're driving along the M4. Explored with Sinnerman, Winch, Lula. Myself & Sinnerman had been here before, thinking we'd be smart we walked around the front to see if the security were still monitoring the cams and using the loud speakers. Within 30 seconds we'd been told to sod off. Opppsie. Anyway returning a few months later things seemed to have changed - security were still there just not as active shall we say. This one was never on my favs list - it was too modern in a lot of places, but worse still it had been modernised badly. Only one ward had its original and beautiful wood panneling. The place must of been madjestic back in its day.

Fairmile hospital opened in 1870 and had a 132 year long career in caring for people with mental health problems. The site was purchased in in 1866 for the sum of £8,317 4s 9p. The architect Charles Henry Howells of Lancaster Place, London designed the asylum which was built at a total cost of £68,000.

Pics:

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
Nice one Tom, I always wanted to go here and I think when I planned to was just after the Art centre was resecured and security stepped up (more than it was)

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I don't think this one was ever anyones favourite - it was my local asylum and the levels of security meant I only ever got into it once, on a snowy day no less - I remember distinctly walking up the road to the hospital and seeing the car the security drove that I'd clocked on a previous fail leaving the site! Sadly on that day there just so happened to be workers doing something in the really nice wood panelled wards, so I never got to see them - we got as close as we could, so close we could hear them talking but they were in just the wrong spot.

It's sad also that the mortuary was right where security was based and was only opened up during the stripping out/renovating phase - it was an absolute stonking beauty of a thing and had it been more readily accessible it might have changed a few people's minds about the place not being worthwhile!

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
I don't think this one was ever anyones favourite - it was my local asylum and the levels of security meant I only ever got into it once, on a snowy day no less - I remember distinctly walking up the road to the hospital and seeing the car the security drove that I'd clocked on a previous fail leaving the site! Sadly on that day there just so happened to be workers doing something in the really nice wood panelled wards, so I never got to see them - we got as close as we could, so close we could hear them talking but they were in just the wrong spot.

It's sad also that the mortuary was right where security was based and was only opened up during the stripping out/renovating phase - it was an absolute stonking beauty of a thing and had it been more readily accessible it might have changed a few people's minds about the place not being worthwhile!

The chapel was quite nice - only ever saw the one report on it it

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
The chapel was quite nice - only ever saw the one report on it it

It's the only part of it still empty now too but it's all stripped out to bare bones. Security were stationed right outside the Chapel hence it very rarely if ever being done.

professor frink

Reppin Bumbaclaat
28DL Full Member
This brings back happy memories, access wasn't easy and it included a rooftop walk whenever I visited.
Good though as it kept the local hooliogams out.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
It's the only part of it still empty now too but it's all stripped out to bare bones. Security were stationed right outside the Chapel hence it very rarely if ever being done.

Ah shame. Think it was Lillimouse and maybe OT? That got in when it was still untouched, pews and everything.

Who has read this thread (Total: 170) View details