Web
Analytics
Report - - Fairwood Hospital, Swansea - July 2018 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fairwood Hospital, Swansea - July 2018

LittleOwl

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
From our visit to Fairwood Hospital back in the summer, this little location was a gem hidden in plain site among the rolling hills of the Gower.

First, some history.

A very small hospital designed to treat patients in the local area suffering from fever more than 100 years ago, the site has been up for sale since the turn of the 2010's. Fairwood Hospital comprises a cluster of four small buildings which, when it was built in 1914, kept groups of infected patients isolated.

The site was later used as a maternity hospital and then a cottage-type hospital, caring for those who had been discharged from a main hospital but were still not able to return home. It closed in 2010 following a consultation, despite campaigners’ objections. At the time of closure Fairwood Hospital had 19 elderly convalescent beds and employed 20 nurses, plus other staff.

Health bosses at Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board said it cost more than £500,000 per year to run, that it lacked equipment and doctors, and that more money was being spent on other ways of getting patients back home quickly. In 2011 thieves broke into the empty building and took a stash of copper cylinders, radiators and pipe work.

Three years later ABMU said it was looking to turn the two-acre site into accommodation for adults with learning disabilities in tandem with a registered social landlord. But this did not materialise, and the hospital is now on the market for offers of more than £350,000.

And now, onto the report!

Gaining access to the site was considerably easier than we'd expected given that an occupied residential property sits beside it and of the 4 main buildings, 3 were accessible despite having to get through some rather hazardous brambles and glass shards. The first building we entered was sparse to say the least and was fully opened to the elements and local wildlife. There was sheep shit everywhere, to say the least.

FB_IMG_1545010711155.jpg

We assumed that this was more of a day ward or visitors centre for the site, given that it was all accessible, on one floor and the odd mossy armchair could be spotted stacked away in the corners.
FB_IMG_1545010714148.jpg

FB_IMG_1545010708561.jpg

Among the stacks of paper strewn across the mucky ground were patient notes, test results and personal histories and details. Not exactly something you should leave on the floor once your company goes into liquidation...
FB_IMG_1545010705939.jpg

Once we'd had a thorough look through this mostly uneventful building, we headed into one of the main boarded up buildings. The light inside was incredibly dim and there was some minor flooding inside but this was a lot more interesting to explore. This had been one of the patient wards and though most of the furniture had either been removed or stolen, there were still lacklustre air mattresses strewn about the floor and wall lamps hanging limply from the window edges.
FB_IMG_1545010739139.jpg
FB_IMG_1545010736470.jpg

FB_IMG_1545010730684.jpg

FB_IMG_1545010703876.jpg

Though there were signs of vandalism and the odd bit of graffiti, the ward was in relatively good condition and most of the toilets, bath tubs and indoor plumbing was still intact.

FB_IMG_1545010727931.jpg

FB_IMG_1545010689329.jpg

FB_IMG_1545010725431.jpg

We assumed that the flooding was in part owed to this washing machine, which had been torn out of place and the water had run into the kitchen area, though this was only one of many kitchenettes.
FB_IMG_1545010733242.jpg

Further into the building we came across what would have been the staff room and preparatory area, likely dispensing medicine or making meals for the patients. It was also previously the main entrance to the building.
FB_IMG_1545010701706.jpg
FB_IMG_1545010696575.jpg

At the rear of the building was the day room, where patients would have spent time with their relatives or passed the time. It was oddly eerie in there as the floor was strewn with endless jigsaw puzzle pieces, romance novels and Christmas decorations (amidst the rat shit anyway).
FB_IMG_1545010716404.jpg
FB_IMG_1545010719378.jpg

Having reached the final building, I had to go it alone as the friend who'd accompanied me was too tall to get through the only means of access. This building was by far in the worst state of repair and suffered great amounts of damp and rot in the roof, which was leaking and in some places, even missing large chunks. I guessed this building to be the main staff building and on the first floor, possibly the lower tier care home, for those patients that were still mobile or required less care.
FB_IMG_1545010692925.jpg

This rotten hole in the floor and ceiling above was what greeted me upon my entering the building. Tread carefully!

FB_IMG_1545010686439.jpg

Many of the main rooms were either empty or simply too dark to photograph but my first shred of light came from the front doorway and corridor leading to the stairs. Again, some signs of vandalism but otherwise well kept and away from the worst of the damp.

FB_IMG_1545010684043.jpg

FB_IMG_1545010681598.jpg

Although the stairs were sturdy and free from rot, the end of the upper hallway here was the same rotten hole in the ceiling I'd seen on the way in, so I didn't venture any further than the two doorways pictured here.
FB_IMG_1545010678705.jpg

The hole in the ceiling/floor. Yeah, no way I'm trusting that to hold my weight!
FB_IMG_1545010676280.jpg

Fairly sparse, these two accessible bedrooms were host to patients just like the rest. Think housekeeping needs to pay a visit though...

With that, the heavens opened up and we decided we'd seen enough. I do hope this tiny little hospital eventually finds new life and purpose. It's a good little site.

FB_IMG_1545010684043.jpg

LittleOwl

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That is some seriously beautiful banister work!
That's why I had to include it twice see. Not because I'm terrible with making reports on my phone or anything ;)

LittleOwl

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
What's the security like there?

I've been thinking of going. Is this place just up the road from Upper killay?
It's definitely worth a visit. We went on a weekend in the late afternoon and given that there's a lived-in house literally not 20 yards away from the site, we were amazed that there was nobody around, no secca, no fences, nowt. Unless the neighbours see urbexers so often that they've stopped giving a shit about trying to stop them from going in.

ExploringSwansea

28DL Member
28DL Member
It's definitely worth a visit. We went on a weekend in the late afternoon and given that there's a lived-in house literally not 20 yards away from the site, we were amazed that there was nobody around, no secca, no fences, nowt. Unless the neighbours see urbexers so often that they've stopped giving a shit about trying to stop them from going in.
Ahh, thanks for the info, I'm definetly going to go and visit it soon. again, thanks for the info.

Valleyjack

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some awesome shots there. I worked for ABMU prior to taking up to a new post in a different health board. It was a great shame when they closed fairwood hospital.... Another cut costing exercise. It was a lovely little place where patients could be transfered for rehabilitation post surgery etc. The "washing machine" you referred to is actually a macerator.... It is used to place disposable bedpans, urinals, etc into.... The blades inside turn it into pulp with the aid of water and flush it away