real time web analytics
Report - - Falcon Pottery Works(JH Weatherby & Sons), Stoke-on-Trent - Nov '15 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Falcon Pottery Works(JH Weatherby & Sons), Stoke-on-Trent - Nov '15

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Explored with @JuJu @Lost Explorer and @The Wombat

History

weatherby1.jpg

The Falcon Works Hanley, was owned by J. H. Weatherby & Sons Ltd who established a works on site in 1891. The works originally specialized in earthenware but later went on to produce fine porcelain. The former extant hovel kiln may date from the 1890s. The inner kiln has probably been renewed a few times since, and is likely to be dated mid 20th Century.

597fdc5eed6220825cc330b2d5f9552e.jpg

Originally the works had 5 kilns, but 3 were relocated to the southern end of the site in 1906, when the firm expanded. Included within this expansion, the front of the site was added providing a new façade to the main street. Before the construction of Potteries Way, the street(now called Old Town Road) was the main road north out of Hanely and was lined with many small potteries.
The firm continued to grow slowly between and after the wars, first branching into hotelwares, then later collectables. By the 1970s the firm’s expansion was hindered by planning control and by 2000 the works finally closed. At its height the works employed 200, by 2000 it employed 10.

weatherby_lge.jpg

Explore

First of all, thank you @AuntieKnickers for helping me out with this one.
This was the second explore of the day, and turned out to be our final success as well. Really enjoyed this, nice to see somewhere which hasn't been destroyed by kids, offering nature the oppotunity to take hold.

(1)
DSC_0112.jpg

(2)
DSC_0114.jpg

(3)
DSC_0118.jpg

(4)
DSC_0120.jpg

(5)
DSC_0126.jpg

(6)
DSC_0127.jpg

(7)
DSC_0119.jpg

(8)
DSC_0129.jpg

(9)
DSC_0140.jpg

(10)
DSC_0132.jpg

(11)
DSC_0139.jpg

(12)
DSC_0135.jpg

(13)
DSC_0137.jpg

(14)
DSC_0148.jpg

(15)
DSC_0150.jpg

(16)
DSC_0131.jpg

Cheers for Looking​

The Stig

Urbex = Nosey Bastard
28DL Full Member
Spot in fella, I'm so suprised with the amount of pottery which was still in there. Nice one mate :)

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Another good day out, and really enjoyed this one.
excellent shots :thumb never know they were handheld

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Very nice mate, just as I remember it.

Pretty cool that :thumb

Spot in fella, I'm so suprised with the amount of pottery which was still in there. Nice one mate :)

Nicely done :thumb

Looks like a there is plenty to see here man, thanks for sharing it.

Cheers guys :thumb

Another good day out, and really enjoyed this one.
excellent shots :thumb never know they were handheld

Looks good mate, was a good day out :)

Was a fun day out. Stoke certainly makes Leicester look like it's the on the higher end of the market

hamtagger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some really nice detail shots there and you've made the best of the place. Amazed those pieces of pottery have survived the onslaught :eek: