real time web analytics
Report - - Fan Bay Deep Shelter, Dover, 12/04/2012 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fan Bay Deep Shelter, Dover, 12/04/2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

urbanginger

Ginger til I die
28DL Full Member
Well wasnt planning on doing this today but Wevsky decided it was where we were gonna head so we set off from sunny Thanet only to find it pouring down in Dover. Not put off by a bit of rain we headed off fueled by Wevsky deciding he knew exactly where we going. Half way there i noticed id forgotten my tripod and had to run back to the car to fetch it. We then spent the next hour or so walking round the same area looking for the entrance. After a couple of phone calls to Space Invader it turned out we were about 20ft in the wrong direction and that google earth was right and Wevsky was not lol. So soaked through we eventually made our way into unknown(for me Wevsky had been before lol).

Some history from Underground Kent

This shelter is at the site of Fan Bay Battery, a WW2 site originally comprising 3 x 6" guns with associated magazines, shelters, plotting room, administration and accommodation areas. Today only traces of the gun pits can be discerned among the undergrowth, and all surface buildings have been demolished. However there are still extensive underground remains at this site, the largest being the deep shelter.

However there are still extensive underground remains at this site, the largest being the deep shelter, constructed in 1941 No.172 Tunnelling Coy., Royal Engineers, which can still be accessed via a hole in the ground where the upper entrance once stood. Completed on the 28th August 1941, it was designed to accommodate 4 officers and 185 other ranks.

And now some pics

fanbay003.jpg

fanbay004.jpg

fanbay005.jpg

fanbay008.jpg

fanbay012.jpg

fanbay013.jpg

fanbay015.jpg

fanbay017.jpg

fanbay020.jpg

fanbay021.jpg

fanbay023.jpg