real time web analytics
FAQ: Antennas, Masts, Aerials etc | General Exploring Chat Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

FAQ: Antennas, Masts, Aerials etc

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

meteor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'd just like to add a word of warning to this thread as a man who works in one of the largest transmitters in the country.

Just because a transmitter is directional (eg a microwave transmitter or a yagi array) doesnt mean that it is safe to stand behind or to the side of it. Many transmitters will generate some sort of side/rear lobes that when in close proximity can still carry harmful levels of energy.

Without knowing the exact configuration of a particular transmitter it is best to just keep your distance where possible.

File:Sidelobes en.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This image should help you to understand the idea of side lobes and remember they are not strictly 2 dimentional.

Happy climbing!

meteor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No problem! Its always good to know how harmful something you cant see or often feel straight away can be!

Landy101fc

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
off topic to meteor,
you work with AM transmitters? does it still have the big valves in them to replace every so often?
can i have one? it would look awesome in the living room.
cheers,
A

meteor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Afraid not Landy, our units purely solid state. We did have some big valve tx's but they all got replaced in the 90's. i know ive seen a few valves knocking about but they tend to be in display cases and i cant see the boss being too happy if they start going missing!

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
I'd just like to add a word of warning to this thread as a man who works in one of the largest transmitters in the country.

Just because a transmitter is directional (eg a microwave transmitter or a yagi array) doesnt mean that it is safe to stand behind or to the side of it. Many transmitters will generate some sort of side/rear lobes that when in close proximity can still carry harmful levels of energy.

Without knowing the exact configuration of a particular transmitter it is best to just keep your distance where possible.

File:Sidelobes en.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This image should help you to understand the idea of side lobes and remember they are not strictly 2 dimentional.

Happy climbing!

Shit I'm having flash backs to Uni and drawing those out :D

Daibhidh

28DL Member
28DL Member
I work in the telecommunications industry and I can confirm that it is illegal to climb these masts. You can, and very often are, charged with forms of trespassing and various other laws such as criminal damage etc. If you get caught that is!

Mobile phone companies make sure they use the full extent of the law on this subject.

p1ynth

Hasnt Ex'd many Urbs!!
28DL Full Member
Snap! I work in the telco industry too. Your genious astounds me!

You realy do not understand the context of this site. Do you? :rtfm :rtfm

Daibhidh

28DL Member
28DL Member
You missed my point completely! There is no "slap on the wrist and run along" attitude. They make sure you are made an example of.

Just pointing out how brutally strict the telcoms take this matter.

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
I take my mobile reception brutally strict too & having climbed a number of these things I can confirm standing next to an O2 transmitter is no guarantee of reception if you're on said network. Any chance you can recommend me a more reliable one at that range as my ability to post 'live' selfies has suffered immensely on some masts.

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
You missed my point completely! There is no "slap on the wrist and run along" attitude. They make sure you are made an example of.

Just pointing out how brutally strict the telcoms take this matter.

Really? wow, we didn't know that -

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
dollar_ase.gif

(is 'the telecoms' a bit like 'the Illuminati'? :) )

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I work in the telecommunications industry and I can confirm that it is illegal to climb these masts. You can, and very often are, charged with forms of trespassing and various other laws such as criminal damage etc. If you get caught that is!

Mobile phone companies make sure they use the full extent of the law on this subject.

A.) It's not illegal, yes it's trespass but it's NOT criminal

B.) They can't charge you with criminal damage if you haven't committed any!

C.) The Police can only put forward charges, it's down to the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) to decide what if anything is to be considered

Of course climbing masts isn't the best of ideas, but hey for some people it's an escape from the daily rat race and despite your opinion of the matter, sadly nothing is going to change I'm afraid regarding this silly hobby :thumb

1-24.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 300) View details