real time web analytics
FAQ: Antennas, Masts, Aerials etc | General Exploring Chat Forum | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

FAQ: Antennas, Masts, Aerials etc

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Denny Teasdale

28DL Member
28DL Member
Can I just point out that the sort of power transmitted can be upwards of 500kW...!! that's 500,000 watts of RF energy...! I've had an RF burn off 100w whilst handling an Amateur radio antenna and they don't tickle...!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
You can only point out the dangers, some people will still choose to do them no matter what

Most of the base lot use a radman etc and so can monitor what's going on around them (usually)

I once went up a certain mast on a hill near Bolton, anything past 256ft which was the first external opening if memory serves me and the meter was twitching in the wrong direction and was death on a 1000ft stick

A freak accident is one thing but exposing yourself in a known dangerous situation and it going tits up is another matter

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Can I just point out that the sort of power transmitted can be upwards of 500kW...!! that's 500,000 watts of RF energy...! I've had an RF burn off 100w whilst handling an Amateur radio antenna and they don't tickle...!

I think many of us have pointed out the possible risks, even if they might be invisible. At the end of the day its the persons decision to risk it and they would only have themselves to blame.. I think those that do risk it are fully aware of this fact and take it on board.

MJ-XX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for this post. I was eyeing a large mast here & considered climbing it but after reading this I think I'll pass. Too much risk for my liking.
Pic related: is the mast in question.

3tZxRJt.png

Mr Sam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
there was some mobile phone things on top of a semi derelict in Leicester we all got fuzzy heads and left quick, not a feeling i want ever again!

Vertigo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If you are entering anywhere with any form of antenna always read up on rf safety. Make sure at least 1 of your group has a calibrated rf detector (narda etc) always always always wear an in date harness and double lanyards at a minimum.

Use suitable anchor points. Only last week an engineer latched on to the floor grill up a mast and fell. The floor grill slid off and he fell 20m onto the roof of a cabin shattering his legs and pelvis. The grill still attached to his lanyard came fling after him and missed his head by MM. Had it not missed his head he would be dead.

Don't climb the structure use the ladder. And never climb alone.

Also always carry an in date tower rescue kit and both of you know how to use it. Should one of you fall you won't have time to wait for fire brigade ambulance etc. Suspension trauma can set in in as little as 4 minutes and could kill you. (Toxins build up in legs and when released you go into toxic shock).

Imho unless you are trained and have all the proper gear don't even attempt it. your life isn't worth losing for a quick selfie etc.

Oh and if you are in the trade.
I used to work with a guy that was climbing an arqiva mast one weekend. An arqiva eng turned up and reported him. He lost his job because he didn't have his permit to be on site and was climbing alone with no tower rescue kit. He now works in asda after a 20 year career in telecoms and cannot get another job in telecoms as he is banned for life from all arqiva sites.

H

headfuckd

lol nothing illegal about it trust had this argument in court last year and walked out without a fine or anything

Who has read this thread (Total: 313) View details