Web
Analytics
Report - - Fearnville House - Leeds, West Yorkshire - Jan 2020 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fearnville House - Leeds, West Yorkshire - Jan 2020

Fearnville House (The Illegal Whisky Distillery)
Roundhay, Leeds
Jan 2020

-

HISTORY
Fearnville House is a large, derilict, Grade 2 listed manor located near Roundhay, Leeds which has a long history of abuse and neglect. The Manor was built around 1840 by a Leeds merchant, and Thomas Louis Oxley, a surgeon dentist, later lived there. In November 1918, negotiations had taken place which resulted in the sale of Fernville House for £2,000 to a Jewish businessman, who, it was understood, would turn the former country house into a clothing factory. However, on Saturday 1st February 1919, two officers from the Leeds special police force had seen a large cask being driven away from the house on a cart. When they weren’t satisfied with the explanation given, a midnight raid saw the police take possession of the house. The officers came across ample evidence that an illegal spirit distilling operations had been conducted here.
Ownership changed hands a number of times over the next 100 years, but Fearnville House has remained derelict for around 20 years and has been on Leeds City Council's buildings at risk register since 2009. A fire tore through the building in September 2019, causing even more damage to the decaying manor.

EXPLORE
What can I even say about this! A once grand manor is now a complete and utter demolition site. What must be an absolute eyesore for the residents of Dib Lane and Oakwood, the building is still somewhat impressive on the outside. The inside however, is another story.
Access was easy. A simple climb over a small barbed wired fence and you're onto the grounds. The building has been boarded up, but many are ripped off and clearly no one cares enough to spend money to replace them and why would they? There is absolutely nothing inside anymore. Anything that may have still been of interest was likely destroyed in the recent fire. Inside is an absolute death trap. Entire floors, both upper and lower, have collapsed on themselves. The upper floor is accessible by shimmying up a collapsed, charred beam which is wedged from the ground to the upper level. Yeah, swerve that! I decided I wanted to live to explore another day and left.

Did what I could with the pictures! Let me know what you think.

Attachments

Recently pinned this place for a possible visit. I think the pictures I saw of this place were pre-fire. Think you did a decent job given what you were working with. Most importantly, you've saved me a trip, so thank you!
No worries mate!
Yeah, such a shame how bad the place was. Wasn't expecting it to be so badly destroyed :(